Forums are back in action! ×

Hey everyone, I've been lurking for a while and thought I would go ahead and say hello. 

I'm 34 and have a traveling IT job.  So I live in airplanes, cars, hotels, and restaurant food. I play a lot of mobile games due to travel, mostly Hearthstone and Clash Royale.  Although Overwatch comes out next month!

For the past year and a half I've had a core focus on strength training using Max OT Training as my guidelines.  Basically week over week progressive weights with a focus on a different body part 5 days a week.  Fun stuff and progressed quite a bit.  Major goal is to eventually go to a meet and top 3.  

But American Ninja Warrior has temporarily changed my view and I want to try my hand at doing obstacle course racing.  So my focus has temporarily changed to trying to figure out how to maintain my lean muscle, lean out, and build endurance. I am heavy on mental competition but never anything physical.  I signed up for an OCR on June 4 to light a fire and hope to keep doing them if I enjoy it.  I figure if I keep lining up events, I won't drag on motivation.  Ultimately, I just want to go on the American Ninja Warrior stage and be on TV.  Even if I fall on the first obstacle, that would suck but I'd have a smile on my face.  

Anyways, I'm not much for meetups due to family issues and work load but I would like swap ideas with other people about effectively training for this.  Also I know these two goals of powerlifting and ANW do not go hand in hand and is why my main focus is prepping for OCR right now.  

Hey E, 

Glad you decided to say hello. I just finished reading Level Up Your Life, and I'm also wandering around on here trying to figure things out. You mentioning OCR's caught my attention: I have wanted to try one for a while, there's one close to me in October, and my mind is made up to make it happen!!  I don't know if I can offer any advice on specific training, but I am definitely interested in your experiences while preparing, and in the event itself. What distance is your race going to be?  

All the best with your training!!

Boussole

Hey Boussole, (Is that French?)  

Thanks!  This first one I found is a 4 miler.  I've done a 10k trail run before, but that is my entire history of running events.  I started a training log on here and my goal is to post every workout.  Hopefully if I'm messing up the training someone with more experience than me will chime in. :) 

Yes, though I'm not French.... I'm taking lessons with Rosetta Stone :flustered:  It means "compass", which is perfect for an Adventurer!!

That distance sounds ideal to begin with, to balance with having the obstacles. I am looking at a 5K, so a little shorter. I will definitely check out your training log. I'm going to try to find some workouts outside the gym that will help.... kinda look at what obstacles the race will have, and try to simulate them. 

I hadn't seen the Max OT program before, so I'm going to check that out.