Forums are back in action! ×

Core - You think leglifts are good? Try spellingthe alphabet

This beauty came to me though a physical therapist friend of mine.

We all love leglifts, but this one has a twist. Spell the alphabet, slowly and as large as you can, either with both feet together, or with each leg doing mirror images of the other. It's 26 seperate leg lifts without touching the ground with your feet, and requires fine control of hip flexors and core to swing your legs into, for instance, a controlled S while your abs are screaming at you. I tried it for the first time last night, and it's my new favorite thing.

He recomends the same with just your feet if you want to build ankle strength or mobility. Easy to do while sitting or on the phone.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

That sounds awesome! It reminds me of a voice training technique used in theatre and for singers. Enunciation starts with the ability to control one's tongue, and one exercise you can do for that is to take just the tip of your tongue and rub it up and down the back of each tooth individually -- start on the top at one end, and just go all the way around your mouth. I like to go over the front of the teeth, too, but I'm not sure that's as beneficial.

Guest tparker

That sounds awesome! It reminds me of a voice training technique used in theatre and for singers. Enunciation starts with the ability to control one's tongue, and one exercise you can do for that is to take just the tip of your tongue and rub it up and down the back of each tooth individually -- start on the top at one end, and just go all the way around your mouth. I like to go over the front of the teeth, too, but I'm not sure that's as beneficial.

I don't think you use that technique just for voice training...

We do something similar in my taekwondo class. You execute a roundhouse kick at waist height or above and then spell out the alphabet. This works on leg strength, hip flexors and balance. Probably a few other things too, but I'm usually grimacing too much to notice. Once you're done, do the same with the other leg. And if the leg starts dropping below the waist (and the instructor catches you) then it's time to start the alphabet over again.

A funny one to watch is when we have to write our names. My full name is fairly short so it's not that bad, but being in Wisconsin with a bunch of long Polish names in the class makes for a humorous sight after I'm done and everyone else is dealing with Leszcynski or Tomaszewski or Zalewski.