Forums are back in action! ×

Trying to be like Cap

I'm pretty much the worst at setting goals. Let's gain muscle. Nope powerlifting. Nope running a marathon. Nope gonna go olympic lift. Nope agility training. Just kidding, let's gain muscle. Etc. I've flopped around for about a year now before realizing I basically want to be like Captain America and able to do anything. Coming to terms with this has been nice and gotten me back on track with my eating and training, much to the relief of my supportive, if somewhat exasperated, friends and family. After all, I don't have a good excuse to skip workouts, I'm a personal trainer so I basically live in the gym. Fortunately my dog only guilt trips me if I don't share my food, so that's a silver lining in life.

To clarify something, I am not your stereotypical trainer. I am quite underweight which has been an ongoing struggle for as long as I can recall, and I mainly work with injuries and medical conditions. In other words my job is to comfort the disturbed, not disturb the comfortable. So not really a hulking bodybuilder or anything of the like, I leave that to my colleagues. I just love fitness for the sake of knowledge and how it gets me out of my comfort zone. Talking to people, pushing myself, and generally just not hiding away from the world and my goals. I suppose you could say that's part of why I'm here, I'm hoping this will be a fun and supportive community and that it'll provide me with a sense of accountability and infect me with some sense of adventure. Right, well, that concludes my awkward and disjointed introduction. Pleasure to meet all of you ladies and gentlemen of the rebellion.

• Like 1

Hey Jem!

Sounds like you've been collecting a fair few underpants! ;)

It's a good community of awkward people here. Lots of us aren't great at interaction at times, but that's the nice thing about Nerds... we are pretty accepting of people with social anxieties and supportive of everyone!

I'm generally waving the flag for the Warriors, but give me a shout if there's anything I can do to help you settle in!

Sundae

Welcome to the community.

I went through similar struggles for years.  At 24 I weighed the same as I had done at 14.  I'm now encroaching on 34 and it's only within the last 5 years or so that I have become comfortable with food.

The big change for me was starting a much more physically demanding job than I had been previously used to, when I was 23.  It was the start of a gradual process of change that took the best part of 6 years for me to accept and come to terms with where I was at and where I had been.

I would recommend you look at weight training if you wish to no longer be underweight.  The Warriors are a good place to look for that.