Forums are back in action! ×

So here goes.

at 27 years old 6ft and 175lb i have decided that after years of saying i hate being tall skinny and having a beer belly (as you can imagine not a good look) am going to do something about it....its actually time.

so after reading through various articles on various websites.....I'm so confused.

Do i eat a 3500 good calories a day or 6000 good calories a day? Do I train a different muscle group everyday giving each muscle group time to recover 

Monday chest

Tuesday legs

Wednesday arms

Thursday back

Friday shoulders 

etc 

just mixing in different lifts?

or train everything in one session then rest a day

Monday compound 

Tuesday rest

Wednesday compound 

Thursday rest

Friday compound 

Saturday rest

Sunday compound 

Do i spend a fortune on pre do i need a specific mass gainer or protein powder?

Maybe I have just completely confused myself by spending 3 years reading about what I should do instead of actually doing it!!

I actually started changing myself about 4 weeks ago. But not lifting Purley spent the last 4 weeks cutting out the kfc and the taka ways  quitting smoking doing core strengthening exercise  eating healthy but not eating big....yet. example of a day.

breakfast....porridge 150g dry 1/2 cup frozen mixed berry  2 slices whole grain toast with a couple of either scrambled or boiled eggs

mid morning

Homemade chilli (beef mince 80/20) 250g brown rice 150g(cooked) 1/2 cup broccoli 1/2 cup green beans.

lunch 

chicken 250g breast and again rice and veg.

dinner

tuna 1 tin  and low fat 30g grated cheese with pasta 200g

Supper 

Natural peanut butter on rice cakes and a 250g pot of plain yoghurt with half cupof mmixed berries.

I understand i am going to need to add another 1 maybe 2 meals and increase portions or so i have read.

what are the people in the gym gonna think when the beanpole walks in the gym and picks up a dumbell? Is this even an issue or something to worry about?

so as you can see I'm totally confused and thought I'd ask for some advice whilst introducing myself.

I'm mark...

I'm a bit of a newb

Hey Mark!

Welcome to the Rebellion!

With strength, I'd suggest starting with a really straight-forward beginners' programme three times a week doing compound movements and getting to grips with form. If you can afford it, a few sessions with a trainer who has a good knowledge of powerlifting or strength and conditioning across a month or two would probably help with the form side of things. If not, post up videos here and look out for advice for people like JDanger, Wildross, Gainsdalf, Jaymul, Spezzy (although I'm not sure she often has time for form checks) and me (although there are plenty of others, those are the people I trust most).

In terms of programmes, I really enjoyed doing Stronglifts because it's mind-numbingly simple. You can squeeze in abs and vertical pulls (i.e. chin-ups or pull-ups) around it if you like, though. :)

I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but I'd start off by getting the lifting sorted and eating as you feel (tracking protein and aiming for 0.8-1g per lb of bodyweight, perhaps, but don't stress about the calories too much) and see what happens with your body. I'm usually all for tracking calories and macros, but sometimes the best thing is to start off with one big thing and then start on the next one! Once you know what the scale and the mirror does with what you're currently eating, then you can tweak your intake upwards or downwards.

Personally, I'm a three big meals a day person. I know others who do five smaller meals. It's all down to personal preference really!

Anyway, I hope that helps and please feel free to fire me a PM if there's anything I can do to help!

Sundae

Thank you for the advise sundae

I decided to go for a 5x5 and just asked a lad in the gym if he minded showing me properly how to do....squats...deadlift...bench press....barbell row....and military press properly.

got to work on form obviously but felt good doing the lifts and he got me to do a one rep max at the end as sort of a starting point....bit ashamed about putting them up but they were not very impressive...He advised on a few targets....month by month and hopefully I can reach them 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, markscott55 said:

Thank you for the advise sundae

I decided to go for a 5x5 and just asked a lad in the gym if he minded showing me properly how to do....squats...deadlift...bench press....barbell row....and military press properly.

got to work on form obviously but felt good doing the lifts and he got me to do a one rep max at the end as sort of a starting point....bit ashamed about putting them up but they were not very impressive...He advised on a few targets....month by month and hopefully I can reach them 

We all start with less than impressive maxes... They will grow!

Weight before I trained 74

deadlift 90kg

squat 70kg

bench 60kg

row 55kg

military press 43kg

gonna do monthly 1rm on each lift

goals for 4th June

deadlift 115kg

squat 90kg

bench 75 kg

row 70 kg