Forums are back in action! ×

Tough Mudder

Hello All!

I just signed up for the NorCal Tough Mudder in Sept. Has anyone who's done Tough Mudder before have any advice on the training? I am starting to run (which I hate) and I am continuing my heavy lifting. I am focusing on finally doing a damn pull up because of the rope/wall climbing involved. I am also thinking of doing some swimming too.

Any advice or tips would be awesome. Thanks!

-Star

In on this as well - I'm signed up for a Tough Mudder in May and I really need to get better at running and bodyweight strength. Think I'm going to just program increasingly long runs, but I also like the idea of interspersing them with bodyweight exercises. Then I figure Crossfit will help with pull-ups and strength. Not too much to be done about the electrotherapy field, I guess.

Hey,

Both my parents are army officers and I walked them through the Tough Mudder course and they gave some training tips:

- practice crawling. Your elbows should be under your shoulders and your knees should be out to the side. Apparently a lot of people have trouble with this and crawl with their elbows outside their shoulders and end up dislocating/hurting their shoulders.

- when you climb ropes, hands go on the vertical ropes and feet on the horizontals. Look at the rope climb before you start, and climb at the edges/where the ropes are being supported. There's less slack and so it's easier to climb. Have callused hands or wear gloves.

- practice with your team. After the first five challenges most teams will start arguing/break up which makes everything else harder. If you've trained together you know everyone's strengths/weaknesses and you can help each other out.

- practice the drops. It's not enough that you can get over the walls, etc, but you need to be able to get back down the other side without spraining your ankle/ruining your knees.

In short they were really about going through the actual challenges, or as close as you can get, as much as possible. They've seen heaps of really fit/strong people bomb out on these things because they trained in a gym and not in real life.

Anyway I'm new to these forums so I hope I'm not telling you how to suck eggs! I found these really helpful things to think about.

Goals 2012: Lose 22kg; run City to Surf in under three hours, no walking; finish New Rules of Lifting for Women; complete 3rd year of degree; get job or internship in an art gallery, museum or auction house.

"Let me have humility, an awareness of my own ignorance and fragility, and contempt for nothing but the insolence of those who condemn me." Petrarch

Blog. First challenge.