Forums are back in action! ×

Fell off the bandwagon/help!

Guest guest4729

Guest guest4729
Good for you for getting back into it!

Some gyms have lighter weight pre-set bars (they're shorter and have small plates that you can't remove) -- I don't know if your gym has anything like that, but if they do, you could try benching with one of those.

As a matter of fact, they do have those. I never thought of using them to bench, though. I think it's more or less because being there around 30 guys is scary enough, but taking up their area when I don't know what the hell I'm doing? Eep.

I really don't like the incline/decline bench press. It just makes me feel really awkward. I think once I get used to it and do it on my own I'll stick to just doing the regular one. I also realized that I enjoy deadlifts as much as I thought I would. :3

Well I got here a little late but I'm glad to see you're getting back into it! I was just thinking about you earlier yesterday, wondering how you were doing because you hadn't updated in a bit. Stinks that you've been off the bandwagon but awesome to see you're doing the only thing to fix that.

qI7Th.jpg

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Guest guest4729
Well I got here a little late but I'm glad to see you're getting back into it! I was just thinking about you earlier yesterday, wondering how you were doing because you hadn't updated in a bit. Stinks that you've been off the bandwagon but awesome to see you're doing the only thing to fix that.

Awww, you were thinking about me and how I was doing? That's awesome. I often think about people from the forums when I'm working out. Like "I wonder if so and so does this?" or "I wonder how so and so is doing with their goals." and so on. You guys are my main motivation right now, so it's nice to see how everyone else is doing. Motivating others helps me motivate myself. :)

Also, love the picture. lol

Guest guest4729
Dont' worry about the gym. The girls who weight lift are hotter. Try inviting a friend, great motivation too.

That's what I used to do. I used to go with the same guy friend about 85% of the time. Now our schedules don't really match up as well and he goes later in the day when it's normally really busy. I like it being quiet so I can do things in peace while not being stared at. It's awkward. :/

Last night while working out with friends I was in a sea of men and I was just like... "halp! plz no rape! kthnx!"

One thing I want to say that you might not want to hear. You are a young woman and most of us women have been sold this idea that we can DO everything and BE everything for everyone and that working, school, community service, relationship, eventually children, house, garden will all fit in. I simply do not find that to be the case. It is important for you to find the things that you LOVE doing, the things that you HAVE to do and then the things you are ONLY doing because you think it is expected and then you need to prune the tree. What good is it all if you burn yourself out?

There are so many kids at school with sam who had parents who helped them to do everything and be everything, almost like a personal assistant, and then they go to school and over schedule and burn out because they have no clue how to prioritize and prune out when necessary. Pruning things out is not failure...it is loving yourself enough and knowing yourself enough to know what is important, and what isnt....your physical and mental health are much more important than your accomplishments...after all, you ARE a human being and not a human DOING...

glad to hear you went to the gym and are feeling a bit better...big hugs!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Guest guest4729
Convince one of your friends to join. Your girl friends.

Tried that last semester and the semester before. All of them believe working out is sitting on the elliptical or running on a treadmill. They think lifting weights is stupid, even after I explain why I do it. The only one who I know DOES go to the gym does it when I'm busy because that's the only time she's not. Anyone who I ask to go thinks I'm crazy. lol

One thing I want to say that you might not want to hear. You are a young woman and most of us women have been sold this idea that we can DO everything and BE everything for everyone and that working, school, community service, relationship, eventually children, house, garden will all fit in. I simply do not find that to be the case. It is important for you to find the things that you LOVE doing, the things that you HAVE to do and then the things you are ONLY doing because you think it is expected and then you need to prune the tree. What good is it all if you burn yourself out?

There are so many kids at school with sam who had parents who helped them to do everything and be everything, almost like a personal assistant, and then they go to school and over schedule and burn out because they have no clue how to prioritize and prune out when necessary. Pruning things out is not failure...it is loving yourself enough and knowing yourself enough to know what is important, and what isnt....your physical and mental health are much more important than your accomplishments...after all, you ARE a human being and not a human DOING...

glad to hear you went to the gym and are feeling a bit better...big hugs!

The easiest way to sum up what I want to say is: you're absolutely right. Thanks so much for your reply, it made me smile. :)

Guest guest4729
Then never stop calling them cardio hamsters, they'll change their mind eventually. Or bet them $50 bucks that if they do weight lifting properly for a month, etc.... You gotta find motivation.

Hah. I wish I had enough extra cash to do so. Unfortunately even when it comes to money my business major friends would probably be like..."Eff that. No thanks." if I asked them to come to the gym when it opens at 6:30am. None of them would last. They were actually the reason why I failed in the past (last year) and stopped going. They were so hard to motivate that I lost my own motivation.