Forums are back in action! ×

Taking 1 month for exercise rehab

I have had seemingly endless exercise-related issues since the insane winter of 2015 combined with CrossFit. No, I don't really blame CrossFit for my injuries, but I think the combination of intense shoveling and CF led to my carpal tunnel syndrome & forearm/wrist tendinitis (both sides). It took months of rest & physical therapy just to get to a pain-free point of regular daily activity. During that PT, I got tendonitis in my shoulders! More PT over last summer.

Then in September, I tried to get back into working out by doing a pilates program at home (Blogilates on YouTube) and hurt my lower back. My left foot was occasionally numb and I had regular pain & tingling down the backs of both legs. More physical therapy. It has been hard not to feel really down on myself about all of this and feel totally useless. I couldn't even bike, my favorite exercise, because of the pressure on my wrists.

I started at OrangeTheory Fitness in January and I love it! It reminds me of CrossFit in the intensity & group atmosphere, but I feel like it's easier for me to scale my workouts (less intimidated to do so). Of course, my CTS and wrist tendinitis came back. I have been seeing a chiropractor who uses the Graston technique on me and that has helped a lot. I am also struggling with shin/ankle pain and frequent shin splints. I have an appointment with a podiatrist next week to see if we can figure out what's going on with that. I am so tired of seeing doctors.

Every time I think I get back to a good starting point, something gets screwed up. I am learning a lot about my body's limits, but I would really like to just find the right path of escalation so I can workout, get stronger, and NOT get injured.

So I'm taking a month off from my OTF classes. I will focus on a lot of calf/achilles stretching. I will see if I can do a bit of running on my own. I will do some body weight exercises at home to maintain upper body strength. I will try to build up some wrist strength in a slow and safe manner. I will try to bike if I can do it without bothering my wrists.

• Like 1

Thanks Evicious!

Yesterday was a particularly bad day for my left shin. I had intense pain & spent a while icing in the evening. Just like before, it's better after sleeping so that's a huge relief. Now my right foot is cramping! >< It never ends haha

On the plus side, I got my $15 membership freeze fee waived by getting a note from my chiropractor :D 

• Like 1