Forums are back in action! ×

Well, personally I find that having a "motivation board" on Pinterest can help stoke my fire when it starts to wane. But I've also learned that motivation isn't the key to success when it comes to most things in life. Motivation is like the spark that ignites the fuel in an engine: it gets things started, but it's not what keeps them going. Ultimately the only way to succeed is to develop discipline. And in case that's a little nebulous, let me explain: the definition of discipline is nothing more than doing the thing you need to do when you really, really don't want to do it. Discipline is when you finish cooking dinner and clean the kitchen before you sit down to eat/wander off to do something else once dinner is finished. Most of us struggle with developing discipline in our lives. It's never easy to make yourself do something when you don't feel like doing it. But the payoff for becoming the kind of person who can do the things they don't necessarily want to do is tremendous! So I would encourage you to start with finding a good source of motivation: a mantra, a workout buddy, an accountability group, a money jar, an outfit you really want to wear.... you get the idea. Take that spark and use to it to fuel a little discipline for your goal. Here are a few excellent articles from the NF blog that may help you get started:

Get Healthy Like Mr. Spock

Dodge This: How the Matrix Can Help You Take Control of Your Life

Why People Suck at Getting Healthy and What To Do About It

Is Motivation Useless? (Hint: the answer is no :P)

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

On 5/19/2016 at 5:01 PM, Evicious said:

Well, personally I find that having a "motivation board" on Pinterest can help stoke my fire when it starts to wane. But I've also learned that motivation isn't the key to success when it comes to most things in life. Motivation is like the spark that ignites the fuel in an engine: it gets things started, but it's not what keeps them going. Ultimately the only way to succeed is to develop discipline. And in case that's a little nebulous, let me explain: the definition of discipline is nothing more than doing the thing you need to do when you really, really don't want to do it. Discipline is when you finish cooking dinner and clean the kitchen before you sit down to eat/wander off to do something else once dinner is finished. Most of us struggle with developing discipline in our lives. It's never easy to make yourself do something when you don't feel like doing it. But the payoff for becoming the kind of person who can do the things they don't necessarily want to do is tremendous! So I would encourage you to start with finding a good source of motivation: a mantra, a workout buddy, an accountability group, a money jar, an outfit you really want to wear.... you get the idea. Take that spark and use to it to fuel a little discipline for your goal. Here are a few excellent articles from the NF blog that may help you get started:

Get Healthy Like Mr. Spock

Dodge This: How the Matrix Can Help You Take Control of Your Life

Why People Suck at Getting Healthy and What To Do About It

Is Motivation Useless? (Hint: the answer is no :P)

First of all, thank you for sharing so much.. Just.. a huge, overall thank you.

I am feeling better, ive been working out for a week and seen some great results already. Gonna keep pushing! 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Comixbookgurl said:

First of all, thank you for sharing so much.. Just.. a huge, overall thank you.

I am feeling better, ive been working out for a week and seen some great results already. Gonna keep pushing! 

You're welcome. :) Everyone here has struggled with the motivation/discipline thing at some point in their lives (most of us pretty recently :P). I'm glad you're feeling better; keep up the great work and let us know about the success you see along the way! We love to cheer for people, plus you never know when you might motivate someone else too! :)

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!