Forums are back in action! ×

Third Night Back, Uki Moment

Finally back training at my MMA gym after a couple months off to deal with crippling lack of self confidence er finish my university while my wife finished hers uhm eat cheese and drink Coke and sleep in uh, I mean, 'rest'. My first night back I gassed out right at the end of the night, only barely managing to make it through all of the drills.  Second night back it was all knee drills and jumping and resistance and I gassed out pretty quickly, but I kept slogging through with many short gasps to try and recover.  THIRD night back it was striking and grappling and heavy bags and ground bag work, and I gassed pretty early.  Several times.  And managed to hip-slam myself right in the ribs, which hurts when I breathe.  And dislocated a finger trying to Russian suplex the bag. And pulled something in my hip doing the resistance training at the end. I walked out of there a shattered shell of my former self (last year, I could have done all this no problem).

But in the middle of that third night when we started doing the kicking stuff and the coach needed a partner for demonstration... he called me, because I've apparently been there the longest and he says I've got the hip and foot movements down and 'everyone should copy me'. Everyone there is in better shape than me, but I still get called up to demonstrate technique.

So walking out of there a shattered shell of my former self, I felt good and I'm looking forward to next week.

Just wanted to share. 

• Like 5

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Dude! That must feel pretty cool. I know how tough it is when you are faced with the reality of where you are now compared to where you were. It sucks donkey ass! But I'm going to give you the same advice that I know you would give me. Cut yourself some slack. ;)

I'm glad you found something to feel proud of, and I'm sure you deserve it. The fitness will come back and you have the skill, and you've already proven that you have the dedication. I have faith that you will be back on top form before the year is out. 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously