Forums are back in action! ×

foot cramps

I don't know where else to put this, so it goes here.

I'm flat footed. Have been since birth. Very often, I get foot cramps. I get them, for example, when i try to sit on my feet, or pretty much anytime i point my toes and just let go. I'm fine when I stand and sit, but if I give them an inch (so to speak) they cramp almost automatically. It's putting a cramp (ha!) in my style as I'm trying to do more gymnastics type stuff.

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Sometimes I drop and bear down on a lacrosse ball as Kelly Starrett would have me do, and it help a bit, I think, but it's hard to say. I have a standing desk and I go barefoot most days, so that helps, but it's clearly no enough.

Suggestions?

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

I have a similar issue, though less extreme. I only get them when I exercise; rarely in casual life. It really hinders my swimming and Jiu Jitsu, and they drive me nuts!!!!

"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty." -Proverbs 14:23

----------------------------------------------------------

I. AM. A. BEAST!!!!!!!!!" -

I get them from time to time, usually when I'm going to bed, b4 falling asleep i tend to get foot cramps. I drink water to hydrate and stretch it out. Usually that helps a lot. Hydration is key...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

I'm super flat-footed too and I used to get foot cramps (and leg cramps) all the time, especially in my sleep. Nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night to a terrible pain of someone pulling the inside of your leg over your head. I realized I had zero potassium in my diet, and with the inclusion of bananas they went away for the most part.

Lately, I started doing some intense yoga stretches and I can feel the foot cramps coming on, so I try to just push right up to the edge and then relax my poses back so they don't start.

All I can figure is that there must be a ton of muscles connected that I have never used before. Maybe if I keep building my tolerance slowly, I can avoid them entirely?

I'm super flat-footed too and I used to get foot cramps (and leg cramps) all the time, especially in my sleep. Nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night to a terrible pain of someone pulling the inside of your leg over your head. I realized I had zero potassium in my diet, and with the inclusion of bananas they went away for the most part.

i'm the opposite - i have very high arches in my feet - but i also get foot/leg cramps in my sleep. seth is right about the potassium, but i've also found that it is largely linked to if i am hydrated enough as well. if my body is dehydrated, i get cramps. if i'm hydrated, i don't get cramps. so, i guess - are you drinking enough water as well?

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

I'll be watching this post with interest...I get cramps when I point my toes too, but I haven't got flat feet. I've always had this problem, and despite now having very strong feet from running barefoot constantly, it still happens. I'll throw down a few bananas and see how I go. I tend to have a lot of dairy so this might be a strike against the calcium theory....

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Besides the potassium and water advice, which is good, tight or stiff feet can also be caused by stiff hamstrings, and they can pull you legs tight down to your feet. You may want to so some stretches to keep your hamstrings loose and see if that helps. Also, my wife swears by doing calf raises on our stairs to help her Plantar fasciitis. YMMV.

Lastly, how are your shoes? I know that if I do a lot of walking in dress shoes or shoes that put are too tight on foot can sometimes cause soreness or cramping. It could be as simple as loosening your laces or getting some new insoles.

Hope you get better soon.

"Fortune favors the prepared mind"

I used to have the same problem with my flat feet, though through dancing ballet as a teen they don't cramp anymore. I think you need to point MORE and flex your feet MORE. I used to cramp immediately when I had to point, but it went away as I got stronger. Try pointing and flexing your feet while you sit (so you can grab your toes to flex em when you get crampy) and stretching your feet by going up and down on your tip-toes (releves) at your standing desk. I do releves to strengthen my ankles and pull up my arches--they are still flat but stronger. It's going to cramp and hurt a lot at first when you point (I'm sure you know), but when you flex and pull your toes back it'll loosen up the cramp (at least that's what I do). It gets better though over time as your feet get stronger and more limber.

I'm sorry, I feel your irritation. I always warm-up/stretch my feet, ankles, and calves first--these always tend to give me the most problems in yoga. I hope this helps.

“The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.†~ Ayn Rand

I get foot cramps, too, although I have a high arch. They usually come when I point my toes to put on socks or to put on boots or shoes, but sometimes they come for no good reason during the day or in the middle of the night. I have been advised to take magnesium supplements for it and have gotten some relief, but it's not like they have completely gone away. Hope you find the right strategy for you.

Another arched-foot person with foot cramps--I don't even let my masseuse touch my feet because they start cramping. though she did tell me that I probably get cramps because there are huge knots in my arches! She told me to roll out my feet (tennis ball, wooden roller, once of those porcupine balls, whatever), but before I do that, use my fingers to press into the knots first, and try and work them out a bit. I also stretch out my feet with a Theraband between bodyweight circuits, wrapping it around my toes and pointing. This has helped with the cramping a lot, and I don't wake up with foot cramps anymore (probably the worst way to wake up, IMO).

Human Ranger

My Current Challenge