Forums are back in action! ×

Teaching yoga at Crossfit!

A couple weeks ago I was chatting with the owner/head coach at my Crossfit box. I was stretching out and he asked me if I do yoga, so we got talking about that a bit. Then he mentioned wanting to find someone who could teach yoga at our CF! We were in the middle of a WOD, though, so after class I told him that I've got teaching experience and we tentatively agreed that we'd work something out.

A few days ago I met with him again to hammer out some details, so I will officially be teaching yoga again! We're probably going to start with a class just for the coaches - maybe this Sunday - so they can see my teaching style and I can hopefully bounce some ideas off of them. I want to incorporate the various styles of yoga with which I'm familiar with mobility exercises like those on Mobility WOD, and the coaches all seem pretty excited about it. I think yoga is a perfect complement to Crossfit, because the latter is generally short duration, really intense stuff, and you need yoga to stay flexible and loose. After the coaches class I'll likely be teaching Saturday mornings to start, then more days a week if the class becomes popular!

So excited. :D I have to go work on a lesson plan for the coaches class...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

If you want to live an interesting life, you're going to spend half of it being terrified.

-Mary Hollinshead

Badassery! Congrats! 8^D

Thanks!

sounds awesome! knowing only the stereotypes of both yoga and crossfit, it seems like a funny juxtaposition - but probably a good one!

Hehe, exactly. :) I have to admit, I focus on the physical and practical aspects of yoga rather than any sort of supposed spirituality or whatever, so I think it will be a good fit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

If you want to live an interesting life, you're going to spend half of it being terrified.

-Mary Hollinshead

Thanks guys!

Plus it was fun to watch the zen yogis struggle through burpees and the tough Crossfitters straining to get their heels down on downward dog.

Yes! I love seeing athletes who are good/experienced in one area be totally humbled when they try something else. :) I'm fairly good at yoga, swimming, and catch on to some of the gymnastics stuff in Crossfit pretty quickly, but my lifts are a joke at this point.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

-Mary Hollinshead

Next time I am in Vegas: totally hitting up your box......

Wait I should reword that.....

FFFFHaha! Well played, sir. But yes, you should! I go to Crossfit 702.

When are you gonna host an online virtual Yoga class for us? :)

That would be SO COOL. But kind of weird, because I wouldn't be able to see what you guys were doing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Human-Dryad Ranger

Fitocracy

Shelter Sketches

-Mary Hollinshead

Woohoo!

we used to have yoga at our crossfit until the coach moved. now we have a pilates class every saturday. you'll be great!!

"Come with me if you want to lift" -The Brominator

"Later, I would learn that coincidences are the most planned things in the world. Later, I would learn that every single moment is a coincidence." - Douglas Coupland

"Anyone who doesn't want french fries every day is a commie." - AngelaTheGeek

Current Challenge

INSTAGRAM!!

find me on twitter