Forums are back in action! ×

How to beat Media Habit? Do it slow or fast?

Hey there!

I need your help with Media. I catch my self way too often checking apps I just looked at, downloading games to spend time, watching the suggested videos on youtube or just turning on the tv or even my xbox.

While this behavior is not bad, on some days I do it too much instead of doing something productive, even productive activities that I do enjoy.

So how do I attack this habit ?

I thought about two ways.

1. Slow. Reduce the time spent on these devices more and more over the time until the point where I do it sometimes but not to kill time or procastinate but to have fun.

2. Fast: Delete said apps and games, unplug my tv and xbox, hide my controller and remote. Once I am confortable with eliminating everything, I can use them to have fun.

Both have it's pro and cons, but I don't know which is the better way.

No 1 is the "softer" way without so much "feelings of loss", but it it takes more time since I first have to track how long I use it, think about a good number to reduce it, track consistently etc. My thoughts will be often with the stuff + high risk of falling back because of the easy access.

No 2 is the hard version, it will create a loss. But because of its "brutality" there is no more work than staying away. Low risk of falling back, reinstalling apps takes a lot of action and thougts.

Is there a no3, an even better way?

Thanks for reading through all this mess of my thougts, it would be awesome to hear your opinions. Are my thoughts about the ways wrong?

If I find a way that works, I will add it in here :D

~Ikarus

I'm IkarusPicture, but can't change my name

I believe Steve made a pretty good article about changing your habits.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/10/21/how-to-build-a-batcave-for-habit-change/

I think you have to try both options out. If one doesn't work for at least 2 weeks try the other one. Thats all the advice i can give, everybody reacts different to this.

I use a mix of Steve's article and your options.

For example Gaming on my Xbox: The controller used to be on my couch and as soon as i sat on the couch i grabbed the controller and turned on the xbox, now it lays on top of a shelf near the TV. So i first have to walk to the shelf to get the controller. Which is more of a hassle.

Apps on my phone: I just deleted the apps that i never used or could use when im home (like email & Facebook). My phone is boring right now and i rarely pick it up now a days.

Watching TV: i rarely watch normal TV all the shows are re-runs, so i only use Apple TV with Netflix and CrunchyRoll (anime). 

I hope i kinda helped you with this. Please keep me up-to-date with how its going.

I'm going to be radical and say just chuck it all. There are more fulfilling ways to spend your time. It is quite possible to be perfectly happy without TV, a smartphone, a tablet, streaming service, video games, etc. I know that because I don't have TV, a smartphone, a tablet, streaming service, video games, etc. and don't feel like I'm missing anything. Quite the opposite. The world has so much more to offer than what is available on electronic gizmos.

kill-your-television-stencil.png

• Like 1
—Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.