Forums are back in action! ×

<--- FAILS at Time Management

Ok. I know I've mentioned it before but I have ADHD pretty bad. Bad enough that I have absolutely no concept of time or time management whatsoever and its starting to hurt my school work some. No insurance = No medication (such lovely little pills that magically slowed time down for me).

Anyways... looking for advice on how yall manage school/work/working out etc with everything else. Do you use a phone calendar/notebook/sticky notes??? Personally I write stuff on my hands to remember "Ok class from 9-2, work 3-8, paper due tmrw, read ch 6-8 Govt" but I've got to find a better long term solution. Your thoughts?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Wake Your Dreams...

I used to take notes on my hand too.... But then I got to university and my hands just weren't big enough. The two things I use (almost obsessively) are the calendar on my iPhone (synched to multiple Google calendars) and a running google task list.

I use separate calendars for work, personal and reminders but they’re all visible on the same screen, just in different colours. I use them for time critical and scheduled things; meetings, appointments that sort of stuff.

The task list is literally a list of the things I need to get done, roughly ordered by priority. I start each line with when the thing is due and bold anything that is super critical. That way I can read down the list and see if anything is at the bottom that might bite me in the ass. This also gives me the satisfaction of getting to the end of the day and seeing all the things I ticked off.

Those two things let me make all my time-critical commitments and work through everything I have to do in between. Seems to be working for me at the moment.

Ahh I used to be a note-on-hand person myself (but they washed off), then I got into post-its (which I lost), and finally I settled on a planner. I don't leave my apartment without it and I write down every single thing I have to do every single day with check boxes (don't scribble out because I might want to go back to it at a later date). I'm thinking of switching to an iPhone app but I haven't found one that is suitable.

Guest guest4729

I use my Google calendar. I used to have a physical planner but I always just let it sit around and never actually looked at it. I'd write stuff in it then ignore it. It was basically useless to me. lol

As far as my Google calendar goes, I have my tutoring hours in one color, classes in another, work hours in another and then the rest of the stuff I do in random colors. The brighter the color the more urgent it is.

I also have it send me e-mail reminders because I check my e-mail about a billion times a day.

My fiancé has really bad ADHD and he called our county services and his meds are free now. Maybe yours can help you? Besides that he and I both use google calendars. Love it.

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Since I have decided to be organized (about a year ago), I always have:

-My bed made before I do ANYTHING [unless its an extreme emergency urination ;)

- Have a year/month calendar to track long term dates. Homework for the semster, vacations, birthdays, etc.

- Have a steno note pad to checklist what I have to do that day.

"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty." -Proverbs 14:23

----------------------------------------------------------

I. AM. A. BEAST!!!!!!!!!" -

Look at the GTD method. Go to davidco.com, sign up for the 2 week free trial of Connect and spend as much of that 2 weks reading and looking at options. Without GTD I couldn't manage at all and I know there is a lot of info there for folks in your situation. A lot of the stuff is free to download as a connect member so you can downlaod it and kepe it for reference.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Currently I use my phone but it makes keeping the big picture in mind difficult. However I do have two gigantic dry erase whiteboards on my living room walls. And by gigantic I mean college lecture size. About 8 and 10 feet long. I've been using one to write quotes and important dates on. The other I'm considering creating a huge calendar on.

I'm a visual person so that may be my best bet for now. Its also great for drawing out mindmaps for my papers and free drawing stick figure style.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Wake Your Dreams...