Forums are back in action! ×

Hi. Starting off on hard mode.

Hi. I'm tungstenmouse.

I have chronic fatigue syndrome, some symptoms of fibromyalgia, and some anxiety problems. This means that I get exhausted far easier than the average person and when I do something, I can't just come back the next day and do it again. In terms of fitness, I can do most workouts but then the next day I may not have enough strength to do it again. In fact, I may not be able to get up the next day if it gets particularly bad (although I have a habit of forcing myself even if I shouldn't.) It kinda sounds like I'm defined by my illnesses. And, to tell the truth, for the past several years I have been.

But I want to change all of that. I am tired of seeing my life go by while I sit back and wait. I'm not getting any better that way.

I am a 250 lb female that is looking to lose at least 100 lbs and eventually gain some muscle.

So I started doing Starting Strength and I have been doing some serious cardio. Unfortunately, I've only seen results in my lifts. I have definitely made some gains in the weight room but not on the scale. Somewhere along the way I came across this site. The approach is really uplifting and motivates me. I was previously on another site and, while I admit they had some good tips, I found them really dismissive.

Anyway, I read a bunch of the articles and decided to start Paleo. Today is my first day on the diet. I'm giving it a chance (and following the rules) but the skeptic in me is still there.

Unrelated to fitness, I enjoy comic books (they got me through serious depression) and reading in general. I like to play video games but I'm not a true gamer (yet) and superhero flicks are my favorite type of movie. I'm slowly wading my way back into anime after a long hiatus. My computer is probably my best friend and I am looking to restart my college education (my health also took that from me).

I'd love any ideas or suggestions you guys have. Thanks and nice to meet you.

Hi Tungstenmouse :)

It's great that your taking control of things and starting to kick your illness's ass once and for all. I'm just starting out myself so can't really offer much in the way of advice yet but I've been on the Paleo diet for a few weeks and really enjoying it! I've been really tired some days as my body gets used to being without the carbs but I really feel like I'm eating a lot healthier now. Stick with it and hope to see you around :)

Oh, and I luuuuuurve superhero films too!

D.B.

Glad to have you on board. With Paleo there comes a lifestyle aspect that you need.

But to make sure you follow the right rules besides the diet.

SLEEP AT LEAST 8 HOURS (It's in CAPS because its super important)

Stress Less

Play more

Heavy intense lifting or running

Cardio is...... not really an effective way to loose weight, but if you want... go ahead I guess.

Remember to eat enough

Do not cheat.

Make sure your not cheating. If you are curious about whether or not something is paleo then ask us here.

Watch out for carb flu, odds are it's on its way.

Maybe it would be helpful to not focus on "doing cardio". Over on Mark's Daily Apple, there is a great article on the benefits of simply walking, and not focusing so much on the "cardio" aspect of it. Just get out and get moving and try not to think in terms of how many calories you're burning or getting your heart rate up to a certain number or any of that - just go for a walk, observe your surroundings, and enjoy. Some of my fondest memories as a kid were the walks I would take after dinner with my dad. If you LIKE to jog or run, by all means do that, but don't feel obligated to jog or run if you'd really rather just walk.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Guest discomFITure

Welcome to the rebellion, tungstenmouse!

I, like you, have allowed my illnesses to define me for too long. I suffer from bipolar disorder and extreme anxiety, and both of those issues have led to crippling self-esteem and a lack of confidence in my overall abilities. Luckily, I've found that working out (and the endorphins that are released from my efforts) helps to alleviate a lot of the effects of my illnesses... and that alone is motivation to keep going.

I, too, am starting the paleo diet and dabbling in light workouts until I fell comfortable enough to progress into more serious programs. If you ever need a shoulder to cry/sweat on, or someone to boost you up... send me a message. We're all in this fight together! :)

Hi Tungstenmouse,

My husband has Chronic Fatigue, so I've got a lot of admiration for anything you do, exercise-wise. Listen to your body, and don't push so hard that you have a relapse.

Have you heard of Terry Wahls at all? She developed a diet that has been beneficial for a lot of people with Multiple Sclerosis. I know some Chronic Fatiguers who have tried it (over at the Phoenix Rising blog and community -- take a look if you'd like) with good results. Her diet looks a lot like the paleo diet that people around here are enthusiastic about. You can get the full rundown here:

Hang in there. I am cheering for you.