Forums are back in action! ×

Hello, I just signed up for the academy but I've been lurking for quite some time via my daughter.  I'm looking for something different to do so finally joined. A little about myself, I'm 57 now but started this whole 'fitness' thing at 52 after a lifetime of being an extremely overweight (325 lb) non exerciser.  I found something that spoke to me (MMA) and (because I hate gyms) got a DVD set called Rushfit with Georges St. Pierre. Even though I stank REALLY badly and had to modify everything I kept on doing it everyday for the 8 weeks of the beginning calendar.  During those 8 weeks something really weird happened... I didn't want to stop.  My goals were tiny; to get up off the ground, to be able to get out of bed easily. Every 8 weeks I wrote down new goals and set out to change 1 thing I did to a healthier option while keeping the new habit I'd just established the prior 8 weeks.  Little things like drink water and not soda, take the stairs and not the elevator, Eat eggs for breakfast instead of cereal, etc. After 2 years I added UFC Fit and Touchfit into my training days for some variation and really enjoy them.  Finally, this January, I joined a REAL MMA gym that has a woman only class once a week.  It is such a blast (really hard though).  The things Steve and Nerd Fitness talk about really resonated with me so I thought I'd join up.  I'm not a gamer but I read you didn't need to be young and a computer nerd.  I'm more of a Lord of the Rings and Hobbit sort because I'm old school.  I've lost a total of 125 pounds and have about 20 more to go.  I won't be thin but I'm strong and working at getting stronger. Anyway, that's a bit about me and fitness. I hope to meet many others of you. Thanks.

setting little goals

changing 1 thing at a time

...that's exactly how you should do it!

• Like 1

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.