Forums are back in action! ×

Getting into comics again, need some suggestions

Okay, so here's the deal.

I love comics and graphic novels. My dad was one of the original comic book nerds who bought every single issue of Spiderman, X-Men, Fantastic 4, Batman, The Avengers, etc. when he was young and had a paper route and disposable income. I grew up reading all his old stored away issues, as well as some of his graphic novels like Bone, Hellboy/BPRD, and some stuff by P. Craig Russel. I've also delved into the Sandman, Watchmen, and V for Vendetta on my own.

But, I haven't really been in the comic "scene" recently, so I don't really know what's out there. I'm looking for some recommendations of good series or graphic novels. I don't like gore (the last part of Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes where he has to get the ruby back from the crazy guy was definitely too intense for me, just as a reference.) Other than that, I'm kind of all over the place when it comes to genre.

So suggest away! What have you been reading lately that's good?

"Then laugh, leaning back in my arms; For life's not a paragraph, And death, I think, is no parenthesis." ~ E.E. Cummings

Level 1 Tiefling Adventurer

Paladin of Stick 'Em With the Pointy End

I haven't read much in years. But I really enjoyed Y:The Last Man. I also LOVED Superman: Secret Identity.

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

I did read some of the earlier Fables stuff, up until they take back the Homeland. I'll have to look into that some more.

@jcamson I'll definitely check those out too.

My only problem these days is that I've sworn off pirating, and I'm short on cash at the moment, so I don't know how I'll be able to read any of these....

"Then laugh, leaning back in my arms; For life's not a paragraph, And death, I think, is no parenthesis." ~ E.E. Cummings

Level 1 Tiefling Adventurer

Paladin of Stick 'Em With the Pointy End

Okay, so here's the deal.

I love comics and graphic novels. My dad was one of the original comic book nerds who bought every single issue of Spiderman, X-Men, Fantastic 4, Batman, The Avengers, etc. when he was young and had a paper route and disposable income. I grew up reading all his old stored away issues, as well as some of his graphic novels like Bone, Hellboy/BPRD, and some stuff by P. Craig Russel. I've also delved into the Sandman, Watchmen, and V for Vendetta on my own.

But, I haven't really been in the comic "scene" recently, so I don't really know what's out there. I'm looking for some recommendations of good series or graphic novels. I don't like gore (the last part of Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes where he has to get the ruby back from the crazy guy was definitely too intense for me, just as a reference.) Other than that, I'm kind of all over the place when it comes to genre.

So suggest away! What have you been reading lately that's good?

This is what I said in the other thread:

Sandman, Preacher, Hellblazer, Batman: Haunted Knight/DarkVictory/Long Halloween, Rising Stars, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Swamp Thing (Alan Moore's run), Batman: War Games, Batman: Hush, Death of Superman, Kingdom Come, Batman: No Man's Land, Batman: Knightfall, Sin City, Watchmen, From Hell.

However, seeing that you have a no-gore clause, I'd edit that to be

Batman: Haunted Knight/DarkVictory/Long Halloween, Rising Stars, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Swamp Thing (Alan Moore's run), Batman: War Games, Batman: Hush, Death of Superman, Kingdom Come, Batman: No Man's Land, Batman: Knightfall, Watchmen

I highly recommend Rising Stars. The basic premise is that 113 kids are in utero when a comet passes over their town. All of them are born with various powers that are at wildly different levels of strength. For example, some can fly, some can merely levitate a few feet. Some have very unique powers...speaking to spirits, mental powers, invisibility, etc. As they grow up and remain under government surveillance, many try to fade into obscurity while a few embrace the fame and notoriety. Then, one day someone begins killing them off. And the ones left behind start to realize that they get stronger each time one of them dies...

http://www.amazon.com/Rising-Stars-Born-Fire-Vol/dp/1582401721/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330050042&sr=1-2

Other thread:

http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?4283-Comic-Book-Recommendations-Help

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

I second "Preacher!" I'm dying for the movie/HBO series/ whatever it's morphed into now to come out.

Also, SMAX. It's a short spinoff of Top Ten. Best comic I've ever read... almost.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]