Forums are back in action! ×

Hey everyone. My name is Alex. I first discovered nerd fitness through a recent podcast with Robb Wolf. In my youth I was extremely overweight. When I graduated high school I began to modify my behavior and rather quickly dropped 100 pounds. The biggest problem though, was a lack of exercise. I've read a lot on both diet and exercise, however, implementation of exercise has been sporadic. I have always been to some degree a party person, and have often let work/partying get in the way of my health. Basically I would either do fairly well, or live in a state of absolute debauchery. I feel as if I've always just been waiting to happen, as I have no tangible progress to show. Fast forward to last August. My father suddenly died of a heart attack. I realized how much I had focused on my friends, work, and partying, instead of my family. I felt such shame, and fell into a deep dark depression. I buried myself in a bad lifestyle. Anxiety/panic attacks consumed me. I invested my time into people I shouldn't have. Finally, though I don't know how, I found strength. I started working out regularly, made great strength and muscle gains. Then I began to notice a pain in my shoulder, and had to back off of that. I continued to rehab, and worked out some, though way less. I started dating someone,  loving life, finally starting to get wind into my sails. I would soon start back in the gym and my life would be back on track right? Wrong.. My sister was just diagnosed with heart failure after mothers day. She has three years to live, unless she receives a transplant. Shortly after this news I quit/got let go from my job and me and my girlfriends relationship hit the rocks. I had lost all of my strength. I have been in a pit of deep depression/anxiety akin to when my Dad died. This is all very recent. Today is the day I end it though. I made this account, and need to become seriously focused on myself and my health. I need to cultivate my strength. I cannot be weak. My mother and sister need me. I will become a warrior. I will find my lifes purpose. Thank you to anyone that read all of this sob story. There will not be another. I'm here to help if anyone has questions. My main area of knowledge is in diet. Hope to make lots of new friends also on a path to success. Take care.

Hey Alex! I am also new here, but I suppose it is appropriate to say Welcome? Or something like that, heh.

Man, right when you said "my life would be back on track right?" I definitely answered yes, and wow, you've been faced with a lot. Definitely doesn't sound like a sob story to me... I'm super impressed that you were able to get out of the darkness last year. Here's hoping you can get there again!

I suffer from anxiety and depression myself, and I think one of the most helpful things I've learned is that it's okay to suffer sometimes, when you really need to, and get caught up in the worst of it. As long as you can get back out when you're done with that. I'm in a rough patch now, too (not even for any concrete reasons), but part of my motivation for joining here is to get myself out of it. Best of luck to you, and your family, too.

• Like 1

Welcome to you as well. I am sorry to hear of your struggle but it is good you are ready to get out of it. If it effects you, it is concrete. I have no other choice than to move past it now. I agree that it is good to suffer sometimes. Wallowing in your pain provides the best contrast when things get better. Best of luck to you in your endeavors. 

• Like 1