Forums are back in action! ×

On the heels of the supplement thread, protein powder suggestions (re: weight loss)

I'm definitely having a hard time getting enough protein in my diet on lifting/strength days with a lower calorie budget. Well and I really hate cooking and get bored, so I'd like an alternative protein source for the days I really can't get it from food.

So suggestions of protein powders that don't suck, but aren't overloaded in sugar and stuff? I'm eating as close to paleo and still tracking calories/macros in my attempts at dropping weight. Reasonably priced would be great too since my budget sucks right now.

I'm pretty sure there was a thread of suggestions I am going to dig up again, but I was more curious if anyone specifically looking at losing weight had a favorite.

Tiffany -Elven Ranger & Derby Girl
STR 7 | DEX 5 | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3
@moxie_hart. Tumblr. Fitocracy

Finding protein powder low in sugar isn't too hard, but the 'and stuff' part is harder. A lot of them use sweeteners to make them palatable (seriously, unsweetened protein is the most disgusting thing ever, combined with the worst possible texture), and the refining process to remove protein from milk, well... let's just say powder is far from 'paleo'

That being said, most run of the mill protein powders are fine when it comes to weight loss. Look for 80% calories from protein or higher. So, if one scoop is 120 cals, you want at least 24g of protein. Once you have that, add whatever you feel you need to make it palatable.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!