Forums are back in action! ×

Fitness is not so much my problem (anymore)

Hello!

So, I've bought the book, almost done with reading, and found the forum.

What confuses me a bit is the heavy focus on fitness. When I bought the book I got the impression it's about changing your whole life. 

When I looked into the guilds, the Assassins meet my fitness goals, so I will stick with them, but actually I would have to join the Druids since they seem to be the only guild that includes topics like overcoming procrastination for example.

Love the whole superhero idea though and decided to write the first post without having found the perfect avatar or having the perfect idea of who exactly I want to be.

I'm in the process of figuring this out right now, and right now is about decluttering more than adding.

I'll take care of the nice to have things when I have taken care of the more essential stuff.

One of the most threatening and scary things in my life is my Bachelor's thesis. I have to finish it in a few weeks and haven't even really started, despite having plenty of ideas. I'm making a game, and I'm using visual scripting, but I'm an absolute beginner with scripting/programming, and I'm also a HUGE procrastinator. I feel completely alone with this, despite going to psychological counseling of my school regularly, but didn't dare to go to my thesis tutor for months (I'm scared of him). Have to go there soon to show him that I have done almost nothing and need more time, can hardly imagine worse actually. Sometimes hanging myself seems easier than all of these embarassments I have to deal with, considering the procrastination, avoiding stuff and not being able to move on with my life. I'm deeply ashamed because of all of this, especially because I know I could do so much better. Yes, I will take up therapy again, but first I need to finish this thesis (judged by the feels this evokes I should have named myself "Atlas")

Then a huge goal is getting rid of the fear about what others think, and in general the fear of others. Usually I don't go do what I want because other people will be there and I can't feel good about me then anyway. Plenty of effort goes into figuring out when places will be as empty as possible so I can go there. 
I want to overcome this, it's so limiting.

Of course I also have some fitness goals. One, for years, almost decades, is the pull-up. Hello to the Assassins here :D  It really amused me that this is such a big deal in this guild because for me it has been for so long as well. It seemed like THE OBSTACLE for me. I have given up on the idea of ever learning it, but now I decided to start trying again. 

I'm quite happy to have found this community of positive-minded people who want to improve their lives on every level, plus that fantasy/nerd aspect. I never told anyone I actually quit smoking because in that time I was Altair and Altair simply doesn't smoke :D

So long, glad to meet you and good luck to all of you! (Pff, who needs luck anyway?)

Hi and welcome! Yeah, the guilds are set up for fitness, but many people include other things for goals.You will find great encouragement here. That said, if you are so frustrated that you feel hanging yourself would be easier than figuring out the thesis, then really you need to get back into therapy now rather than later. Talking to the therapist  might actually help you set up some concrete steps to help pull you out of your frozen spot.

Way to go on quiting smoking!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

it is called nerdFITNESS, so that's where the emphasis will always be.  Nothing is stopping you from applying the same principles to other parts of your life though and many people on here do just that.  There's even a "decluttingering your house" challenge floating around here somewhere :)

• Like 1

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

Welcome! I hope you aren't too disappointed by the fitness focus here. It is a big supportive community, and while most people seem to have at least one diet or exercise related goal per challenge, that isn't always the case. And most people have additional goals that relate to things like writing, or running their business, or overcoming procrastination.

You don't have to participate in the challenges unless you want to, but if you do, you can make them all about the thesis if you wanted. Even in the Assassins' guild. ;) Also, spend some time poking around the "Level Up Your Life" section of the forums; you'll find writers' groups and probably some student-specific stuff too.

Good luck on your path!

• Like 1

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin