Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings from a neophyte!

I'm 25, electrical engineer by day, fledgling seamstress by night. (Historical outfits and Disney costumes so far.) I love reading and nerd out over Lord of the Rings (my friends and I saw Return of the King six times in theaters), Harry Potter, Star Wars, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Jane Austen novels (it's a real nerddom!). Going to see movies in costume and attending costume balls are high moments for me.

I'd say I'm "elf race" in that I have a thin frame, but I've been slowly gaining weight over the last few years. I can be terribly vain about the way I look and also have a bit of gluttony streak (I have to stop being a member of "The Clean Plate Club"). I want healthy living to be fun and natural and not something I obsess over or mentally beat myself up about. I have a friend who has changed her eating habits and started strength training; she has lost a lot of weight and gotten toned and gained energy over the last year. She started choosing to be happy before she lost any weight and made these lifestyle changes with such a joyful attitude; she inspires me!

For this summer, my husband has an internship in a different state and together we decided to focus on improving our health in our time apart and checking in with each other on our efforts. I am looking for accountability and a community to encourage me to make life changes.

I bought my first set of 5lb weights, put them next to my bed and started doing a few reps in the mornings. I admit that I know very little about weight lifting/training, so I'm here to learn and experiment. I plan to eat mostly Paleo for the summer.

Today is the day I change my story. Ranger class, here I come.

• Like 3

Welcome.   Come check us out over at the Rangers.  You will find all the help you need for just about anything you want to do.

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

You'll have to share some of your costume creations with us, that sounds so cool. Have you seen the movie Love and Friendship? It is based on a Jane Austen novella that she wrote when she was young. I really enjoyed it. Whenever I watch a period movie like that, I think it would be super fun to go to a ball dressed in period clothes. I don't have any sewing ability though.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Good luck on your quests(: I myself have a petite frame and have started lifting weights as a beginner. I was surprised by how little strength I had in my arms. I bought a chin up bar and a bench press (45-200lbs) along with dumbbells (2-30lbs). I am starting off with the dumbbells due to the bench press bar being 45 lbs without weights. Once I build enough muscle to do those no problem and my quests for pull ups without assistance; I will finally being on the bench press. It is a long journey indeed. Hope your journey goes well LadyKate

My Character & Quests Battle Log: Let the Battle Begin / Facebook 

I am the architect of my own destruction 

Welcome! It sounds like you and your husband have turned what could have been a painful time apart into a great opportunity for you both!

If you don't have/want access to a gym, you can get really strong and fit with bodyweight exercises. Check out Steve's bodyweight exercises in the Nerd Fitness blog posts, or check in with the Assassins for their recommendations. Also, darebee.com has an extensive library of workouts that involve bodyweight only exercises, or minimal apparatus - oh, and it's free!

Good luck to you!

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin