Forums are back in action! ×

So, I've been a member of the community since spring 2013.  You likely don't recognize the name because I don't often jump in conversation, that's just my personality, and because life got busy in 2014 and I was doing pretty good on my own without accountability.  Then in spring 2015, my life got thrown for a loop.  My Gram, who means the world to me, was diagnosed with lung cancer.  After a few rounds of chemo, the doctors saw that it was making no difference due to the aggressive form of lung cancer she had.  At that point, she made the decision to stop the chemo and make memories with what time she had left.  And we made many memories as a family.  It became harder recognizing how tired she would start to get and knowing that each time I told her goodbye could be the last.  Then on a July morning last year, I got a call from mom that Gram had passed in her sleep that morning.  Even with months to prepare for that, I was not prepared.  I began to coast through life, doing the bare minimum to survive.  Instead of eating healthy, I ate whatever was easiest to throw together, most of which was not healthy at all.  I started to pull out of the funk but then the holidays hit, which always revolved around Gram.  She always cooked Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas Eve dinner, and New Year's Eve dinner.  The depression hit a new low and there I was, coasting again.  I ended up gaining 20 pounds.  Then this past April, I was in a car accident.  The other driver blew a stop sign and t-boned me in the driver side.  I miraculously walked away with only deep bone bruises in my left forearm and left knee.  Seeing the damage and realizing how lucky I was to barely be hurt, snapped me out of the funk I was in.  I don't know everyone's religious beliefs, but I do believe in a higher power, and it felt like me walking away from the accident was a sign that my time isn't up and I still have a purpose to serve.  I couldn't do much exercising because of the bone bruises and overall soreness from the accident, but I started cleaning up my diet.  This past week my cousin and I took a vacation to Milwaukee, which was a good overall experience.  I let my diet go a bit because we were going to visit a lot of hole in the wall type places and I wanted to eat whatever.  Like the BBQ brisket and tater tot pizza I had.  Though I did find many of the places use fresh ingredients and a lot are organic as well.  I actually ended up losing 5 pounds over the course of vacation.  I think a good amount had to do with the fact that we walked no less than 5 miles everyday.  

So, I feel I'm in a good place to start over and get moving.  I realize, though, I need to get more involved with a community that can help keep me accountable through the rough times.  That's what I was missing last year, so I'm going to try and get more involved here as I begin my journey again.  Also, sorry for the novel, but I feel the details are pertinent.

• Like 1

Welcome!

Sounds like you have had a rough year. I can't even imagine. I'm just glad you got off so lightly from the car accident.

I only started my journey a month and a half ago, but it was the daily walking that has done it all so far. Just starting to walk has given me more energy and a better outlook on life.

Whatever small step you start with, small steps will get you far. And it will be easier to stick with which is why it will take you far. :)

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Glad you made it out ok!  I was hit by a car on my motorcycle when they ran a red light. Ended up with some nasty scrapes and bruises; explorer ran right into my right leg but nothing broken (even though the bike was wrecked.) Not even a year later I get t-boned on the drivers side by yet another person running a red light because they were talking on their phone. Ended up with glass in my face and broken glasses but was perfectly fine. Once again car destroyed.

It's crazy how you can go through so much in your life along with depression added in but yet you still keep fighting. Fighting your depression and moving on with your life through the ups and downs shows your a survivor. You have someone looking out for you; Hope your journey goes well(: 

• Like 2

My Character & Quests Battle Log: Let the Battle Begin / Facebook 

I am the architect of my own destruction