Forums are back in action! ×

What to measure?

I'm keen to keep track of how my routine is working for me, and so wanted a view of the right kind of things to measure. Generally you measure what you want to achieve so goals are: reduce body fat, get stronger, overcome bad movement patterns

My list so far

Body fat - I get that consistency of method matters for spotting trends so any suggestions on good online calculators?

Am I getting stronger - so any measure of the weight or reps increasing

Measurements - which bits?

How to measure overcoming bad movement patterns? I'm specifically trying to work on my squat form - so something like squat depth? Heels flat on the ground at the bottom?

I'm not too fussed about calorie measurement as a standard but might include it if none of the above move. Any other suggestions?

Privateer Adventurer

STR 4.75 | DEX 1 | STA 6.75| CON 2 | WIS 5| CHA 3

For body fat: track the metrics rather than a %. If the waist size /caliper numbers are going down, you're doing good.

Strength is ok.

Measurements... what do you really want to know, besides body fat or strength? wrist and neck measurements are sometimes used to BF% estimation...

As for movement patterns, just post vids of you performing the exercise, we'll let you know how you're doing.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

For body fat, you're probably better off to not use the online calculator in all honesty - especially if you're strength training a lot! The body fat % on the scale has a margin of error of +/- 4. You have this margin of error each time you get on the scale. I know for me, it was not accurate enough (that's an entire range of 8% off!)

You can pick between calipers, hydrostatic weighting (dunk tank), and a dexa scan. The dexa scan would cost about $100, and while it is the most accurate, I know I'm not willing to shell out that kind of cash. Hydrostatic weighing costs about $40 for non-students at a local university for me, so check around. It's within +/- 1% (I believe) and until rather recently was the most accurate measure. However, if that's still expensive and you aren't too keen on being dunked in a tank of water, you can go to the caliper route. From my understanding, this can be very accurate, or very inaccurate and it all depends on the person measuring you. A local university will do this for $10 for students and $15 for non students. I'd say this should be a good way to to do it if the person measuring knows what they're doing, and you always go to the same person.

In terms of measurements, I tend to measure my waist (tiniest portion of my middle), the largest part of my stomach (between wasite and hips), hips, thighs, and biceps.

I don't track calories either. I'm a paleo-er, and just eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full.

And then yes - log all of your workouts. I didn't start doing this until November even though I stated seriously training in August and I so wish I had that data! Get a notebook and log your workouts. In the back of the notebook I record my maxes for lifts, benchmark workout times, and my Wendler 5 3 1 data so I don't have to flip through to get all of the information.

In terms of squat form - do you have someone who trains you/with you? If not, you could also video some squats once a month or something. I go shirtless/sports bra and a spandex pair of shorts. Front, side, and back!

Oh - and take photos! Do a photograph of yourself every month. You'll be so glad you have it!

Hmmm, that's really interesting - one of my goals was to get my body fat below 25%, as per the recomendation from BUPA (private healthcare in the UK). If as you point out, error is in the +/- 4% range, then under/over shooting is too easy.

I can use starting measurements now, aim to not go above them and then any movements down etc are a plus, but I'll ignore them for any goal setting.

So looks like performance measures only. Cool.

Privateer Adventurer

STR 4.75 | DEX 1 | STA 6.75| CON 2 | WIS 5| CHA 3

Definitely check the accuracy standard for your own scale, but that's just my own experience :)

The only non-performance goals I track are with the measurements I listed above and taking a monthly photo (plus by how my clothes fit I guess, too!)

I've also found that for me personally, it's easier to keep motivated when I have fitness and performance goals. Everyone is different, but for me it's more fun, and I can see the results pretty quickly, small steps at a time!