Forums are back in action! ×

Occasional Monk running an experiment

Hidey-ho, all. Well, since I put up that post about Charles Atlas, I suppose it's time to do an actual introduction.

So, the basic facts: I'm what I consider an 'occasional monk'. I generally have a lot of fun taking martial arts classes, but my luck never lasts and I usually wind up doing a few months on, several off and then getting back in slowly. (Whether because of car, money issues, or something else). Currently, I am 'off' and seeking to get back in. Although my current work schedule is preventing that...

Regardless! The trouble is, along with being a yo-yo monk, I've also been a yo-yo dieter/exerciser. Like with the martial arts, I'd be on for a while and then off. I'd never really taken my diet terribly seriously (usually with a vague idea that I was going to 'eat healthier', although once I just went a generic 'low-carb' diet) but I'm hoping to bring all three together slowly again. Which brings me towards my current goals. I'm starting that process with correcting my diet.

The exercise part (and the 'experiment' in the title), those of you who've seen the first post might guess what it is: I'm going to try and run the 'Dynamic Tension' routine from Charles Atlas (Some of you may have seen/remembered it from those comic book advertisements, yes the company is still out there) along with work on my diet, until I'm in a better position to go back to my classes. 

So... in keeping with the 'accountability' aspect of things, I'll see about putting together my specific plan for the Dynamic Tension and setting up a log of my efforts with it. Could be informative.

• Like 1

[progress='green']0[/progress]

Welcome! :) It sounds like you've got some solid ideas about how to get yourself where you want to go. Battle logs are usually very informative (for pretty much everyone); I strongly encourage you on getting that started once you're ready. You may also enjoy participating in a 4 Week Challenge. Start off in the Rebel Guild for your first one, and if you like it, try another (and another, and another, and another... :P) in the Assassin's Guild.

Cheers! ^_^ 

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Anything you can do to increase your flexibility and core strength is going to help you in martial arts of any sort. Oddly enough even though I've been riding dressage for 30 years increasing my core strength has made a vast difference to my riding.  Any everything else I do too. 

Thanks for the advice/support, fellas. I'll have to look into the guilds and quests a bit more. Might be just the thing to keep me motivated during all those push-ups I'll wind up doing haha.
And yeah, I'm going to try and make a log of my own for Mr. Atlas' workout. Try and give it as impartial an exam as I can.

[progress='green']0[/progress]