Forums are back in action! ×

Converting Exercise to "Steps"? (MET chart based?)

Hi Everyone!

My work is running an exercise challenge in June and July.  It's based on the number of steps you track (like with a pedometer).  They also have provided a handy chart to convert other exercises/activities into step equivalents.  I'm fairly sure it's based on a MET chart, but I really have no idea how they calculated the values given.  It does give a LOT more credit to cardio stuff over strength stuff, though.

The reason I'm posting this, though, is I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about how those values might be derived, or even what is considered "typical" intensities for the various activities for a chart like that.  My specific reason is, I've been counting my roller derby practices as "roller skating."  However, I noticed a couple days ago that they also include an entry for "in-line skating" that is significantly more steps per minute.  I'm curious why there is such a difference, because there is NOTHING about rollerblades that makes them more of a workout than quad skates just by the fact of having the wheels on your feet arranged differently.

I'm considering switching to the higher number, because derby practice is pretty intense, but that sort of feels like cheating.  Which is why I'm looking for more information. :)

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)