Forums are back in action! ×

Help me Level Up my Workout

Hey all, I'm relatively new to NF and very new to the forums. I used to be a long distance runner but now trying to incorporate some strength training into my routine (so I'm almost a total noob). I've set up a basic body weight circuit for myself and been following this routine and slowly adding new aspects/intensity. However, now I'm stuck and not sure how to improve with pushups.

After I complete my circuit (pushups included), I start doing more pushups (25 reps 2 min rest) until fail. I'm not really sure why I started doing this...I think it was because my arms felt too rested during my circuit or something and I didn't know enough about what else to do.

Anyways, in my last work out I failed in the middle of my 6th set...Which means I'm spending a ridiculous amount of time doing pushups (100+ afterwards, and 75+ in my circuit).

I know I really should be lifting heavy and I've promised myself I am going to learn how to squat/deadlift sometime soon. In the meantime, I know there are a hundred different ways to do pushups that can be more challenging. Can anyone recommend different type(s) of push ups that will be more challenging in far fewer number of reps? There are WAY too many options out there and its a bit intimidating. Would Dumbbell Rows be something I could be doing instead also?

THANKS! ~T

The basic upgrade for pushups is the decline -- same form, just elevate your feet on a chair.

If you have dumbbells, you can do push/rows. Just like a regular pushup, except with dumbbells in your hand. At the top of a pushup, bring one hand up to your chest. Next rep, other arm.

If you want to get really crazy, go for

or

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Timing variations - If you do fast pushups, slow down the negative portion and stop at the bottom for a couple seconds. This really chops the number of reps you can do.

Clap Pushups - Explode upwards, your hands leaving the ground, and clap 1,2,3 times each rep (however many times you can).

Hand placement - Outside of the shoulders hits the chest most, inside hits the triceps most (esp diamond pushups). Down towards the waist (pseudo planche pushup) is its own sort of torture if you keep the form good.

Decline Pushup - Elevate your feet to increase the resistance. Can be done with any sort of hand placement.

Headstand pushup (against a wall) - Shoulder focused pushup

Uneven pushup - One hand out away from you on an object (like a ball or weight), your other one right under your shoulder or further inside. The far away hand isn't much more than a spotter.

Typewriter Pushup - Start with arms really wide, do them basically like uneven pushups, one hand under shoulder the other acting as a spotter. At the bottom of each rep cross over to the other hand by moving your body (a la how a typewriter would move).

One arm pushup - Doing them is a bit technical, either the chest version or tricep version, beastskills.com has an awesome tutorial (some things like the cross body tension, feet/hand placement, tricep-lat lock, and hand twist he explains really well).

Planche Pushups - Extremely difficult. You have to be able to do a planche (which is worked to via static holds). Basically a pushup where the only contact points with the ground are your hands, your body stays complely off the ground perfectly parallel with it.

90 degree pushups/hollowback press - LOL. A pushup from a planche position to a handstand.

-can be done on the ground too (a little easier)

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

The basic upgrade for pushups is the incline -- same form, just elevate your feet on a chair.

DECLINE. THAT IS A DECLINE.

Sorry about that, but that just ticks me off. :P Great variation, though.

Waldo basically posted everything I was going to post. You can also try one-arm inclines (upper body raised) if you're not strong enough to do full one-armers.

If you're looking into bodyweight training, I highly suggest buying Overcoming Gravity. One of the best books I've ever read.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Try taking a look at this link.

http://extreme-exercises.com/body-weight-exercises/

I'm working through Steve's Advanced BW routine, but I've incorporated a few of the pushup varieties from this site. I do three circuits and do a different type of pushup in each round. This site has a large library of BW exercises--many of which I have never heard of before-- and good explanations and videos of how to do each.

Thanks everyone, all this has been great. The planche progression/convict conditioning OR a mix of those advanced exercises are all great options.

One last question about advancing in body weight exercises -- Since I decided to hype up my workout and really improve my body weight circuit I've noticed I definitely have gotten leaner and much more fit, but my body seems to has gotten leaner/smaller rather than a strong/solid form.

If I increase the difficulty (say from pushups--> decline pushups) should I continue to try to increase reps/sets or will this just work against my goals? (as opposed to limiting reps of pushups/other body weight stuff or lifting heavy/low rep in a different exercise)

-T

Thanks everyone, all this has been great. The planche progression/convict conditioning OR a mix of those advanced exercises are all great options.

One last question about advancing in body weight exercises -- Since I decided to hype up my workout and really improve my body weight circuit I've noticed I definitely have gotten leaner and much more fit, but my body seems to has gotten leaner/smaller rather than a strong/solid form.

If I increase the difficulty (say from pushups--> decline pushups) should I continue to try to increase reps/sets or will this just work against my goals? (as opposed to limiting reps of pushups/other body weight stuff or lifting heavy/low rep in a different exercise)

-T

Increasing your reps will make you stronger, but you probably won't put on a great deal of muscle, at least not at first. If you're looking to get bigger, you should consider a good weight program like Starting Strength. It does require a gym/weight stack, but it's the best way to bulk up.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

-T

You will want to use a double progression system. That means you're going to move onto a harder exercise if you can perform 3 repetitions of that exercise in good form, or 6s hold for static holds. You then add repetitions (usually up to 10 or so) until you can do the next progression for 3 repetitions. If you don't get it when you're up to twelve, you may need to work on a different progression. Once you learn how, you can easily scale bodyweight exercises.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

-T

Bodyweight exercises are no different than weights. If you do exercises that you can only do 1-5 reps of before failure, you are focusing mostly on strength gains. If you do exercises that you can do 6-12 reps of before failure, you are focusing primarily on gaining mass (though you'll gain some strength, especially at the lower end). If you do exercises that you can do >12 reps of before failure, you are focusing primarily on endurance, strength and mass gains will be minimal.

In time terms, whether a static hold or how long your set takes, strength = <15 sec, mass = 15 sec-40 sec, endurance > 40 sec, the time set by your 3 primary energy systems used when exercising (creatine-atp, anaerobic glucose, aerobic glucose).

If you want to get strong and gain size with bodyweight exercises you have to continually push forward on exercise progressions, increasing the resistance.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!