Forums are back in action! ×

Help me win my bet!

I'm going on a cruise in 90 days, my first ever. I invited my parents to come along and they are. Both me and my step mother want to get back into shape for the cruise and we've made a friendly wager. If I fail to meet my fitness goals, I buy her a spa treatment or shore excursion, and if she fails to meet her goals, I she does the same to me. (Bets are off if someone is injured.)

I am currently 5'11", 164 lb, and 14.9% body fat. My goal is to have 10% body fat in time for the cruise, although my bet is for 12%.

I have a membership at an Urban Active that is housed in the parking garage I use for work, so it's very convenient for me on the days I go to the office. I've never lifted weights before, rarely used the machines and mostly done cardio in the past. I'm not out of shape but I'm not in shape either.

My current diet is considered balanced by the USDA most of the time (I'm lucky, I lost my sweet tooth years ago).

What can I do to drop my body fat percentage in time for my cruise?

You might be able to get by with the diet you have, but switching to paleo will definitely help you lose the fat. I switched from a carb-heavy diet (for "energy") to paleo and I've never felt better. My bodyfat is also dropping significantly (around/under 10%) with some heavy weights and interval training.

Check out a program like Stronglifts 5x5 for some good weight programming and technique advice. Make sure you're using free weights as opposed to machines -- you'll work the stabilizer muscles and prevent injuries.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Eat a 500 cal/day deficit and lift weights 3x per week, eat enough protein so that your muscles can recover from the weight lifting. Cardio (any type, walking included) can be done to help hit that deficit but it isn't necessary, only the deficit. I don't see a need to radically change your diet unless you want to for other reasons.

At your weight and current BF%, you'll be at 10% by then. About 13 weeks to lose 9 lbs is very doable.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!