Forums are back in action! ×

Hi gang! My name is Shelby, and I am brand-spankin' new here.

So, first off, I just turned twenty four last month. I teach middle school social studies in northern Michigan. I have a cat named Castiel, and a hedgehog named Mila. I received my undergrad at Michigan State University, and I'm back for my Masters now. While I was there, I shot for the rifle team, played polo (horse hockey, not the swimsuit kind), and led the paranormal club. I love creative writing and roleplaying, cosplaying, skiing, reading, horseback riding, playing video games, and some other stuff too that I'm probably forgetting.

I also love exercise! I look forward to it all day, and cannot wait to start a new Zombies, Run mission. That means that the reason I still wouldn't look good in a leather Catwoman suit is because of my diet. I have had so much success when I paid attention to calories in, calories out. A few years ago, I lost 30 pounds just by eating smaller portions. Still ate fast food, and chocolate, but in tiny doses. But then I start to slip, and my mentality is "well, you've already slipped, might as well eat one of everything at Taco Bell." Which is bad. And I know better. I'm starting over. I want some fresh new ideas, and some friends to hold me accountable, because I'm clearly not a solo player.

I've been doing this for a while. It is such a cliche, but yeah, I've been overweight for as long as I can remember. I'm a long-term member of MyFitnessPal, and even run a Harry Potter themed weight loss challenge there, but I spend more time helping others reach their goal than worrying about my own. I'm getting married next June. I already picked out the dress (with its serious fantasy overtones), and now I have to focus on fitting into it.

And finally, the important stuff. I love loads of nerdy stuff. Star Wars, Star Trek (though putting the two that close together feels like I'm breaking some law), all sorts of anime, Supernatural, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Sherlock, Destiny, Overwatch, Elder Scrolls, Lord of the Rings, Pendragon Adventures, Dark Tower, Ender's Game, and so much more. I was voted "nerdiest teacher" by my students during my first year of teaching!

As for my title, borrowed from one of my favorite Starfleet captains - I have to stop making excuses. If I want something, I have to get it done. Just make it so.

I look forward to grouping up with you all! I am no stranger to communities like this one, so don't worry about scaring me off!

"Mike! I found the chocolate pudding!"

Fitbit | Character | Battle | Challenge