Forums are back in action! ×

I'm having a bit of a crisis and would appreciate some help and encouragement.

So today I went to the gym and really pushed myself. I broke through a stall I was having on my bench press and finally got up to squatting with the 45lb plates. I was so proud.

I got home and took this month's measurements. I have either bulked up or maintained. No weight lost and no inches lost (both of which are my goal). That's not all.

I started Paleo the other day. I was easy the first day and then by the end of the second day I broke down. Today, I didn't even try. And I'm seriously questioning my abilities and willpower.

I know Starting Strength is designed to build muscle but I didn't think it would be so much. I've been at it for a month and a half now. Should I stop?

I watched a video literally just a few minutes ago and it made me realize that my squat form has been poor. This means I'm going to have to take the weight back down and correct my squat and then build back up. It's not so bad, it's just that I thought I was progressing.

I'm so discouraged right now and tomorrow is going to be a hard day with the diet because I have plans to go out with friends. Can you guys give me some encouragement and maybe help figure out what to do about my strength routine? Thanks.

You can fight through this one. Sometimes gains are slow, but that makes reaching your goal so much sweeter. I find this video very motivating:

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

Can you lay out your goals for us or at least your biometrics. Do you have an intro thread with these listed somewhere?

All I got from this thread was that you're making strength gains without changing your diet. Then yesterday you tried out paleo. Who cares if you cheat in the first few days, you won't register a difference for a few weeks anyways. You said that you've been at it for a month a nd a hallf, well six weeks is where we get a feel for these things at. Anything less is just trying... not committing.

Stick with it, your signature has a pretty hefty goal in it, you're going to need a lot of internal drive to get past these struggles.

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

Can you lay out your goals for us or at least your biometrics. Do you have an intro thread with these listed somewhere?

All I got from this thread was that you're making strength gains without changing your diet. Then yesterday you tried out paleo. Who cares if you cheat in the first few days, you won't register a difference for a few weeks anyways. You said that you've been at it for a month a nd a hallf, well six weeks is where we get a feel for these things at. Anything less is just trying... not committing.

Stick with it, your signature has a pretty hefty goal in it, you're going to need a lot of internal drive to get past these struggles.

Sorry, I should have been more thorough. I'm a 5'6" female that weighs 245lbs. I've just started Paleo but I've been doing strength and cardio routines for a month and a half. My goals are to lose at least 100 lbs but 125 is preferable. When I reach that I'd like to start serious strength training. I was really inspired by Spezzy's story. This is my intro page. Sorry about the confusion.

First of all, you've totally got this. I believe in you. More importantly, you believe in you or you wouldn't have taken the first step on the fitness road (but I know how in the light of frustrations and set-backs it's easy to lose sight of the reasons you set out to begin with and that you believe you can achieve your fitness goals - or die trying - okay, okay, maybe not die... but you get the point).

Second of all, I know how frustrating it can be to find out you've been doing something wrong or what you're doing isn't working - been there, more times than I can count. Fitness is unfortunately a learning process that takes time and mistakes. But remember, every time you figure out you've been doing it wrong, you also learn how to do it right - or another way to try. Don't give up. You got to those weights with different form, you can get to them with correct form. Also, doing it with correct form (which is really important to get the maximum benefit out of an exercise and also to prevent injury), you're going to feel way more powerful than doing it with incorrect form (as I learned with squats a few weeks back).

Don't take the easy road - don't give yourself excuses to quit, just pick yourself up from your doldrums and try a new way. Where there's a will there's a way, and you've already proved with your dedication so far that you have the will, now you just need to sort out the way. In case I haven't said it enough: you've got this. :)

Hey - I've been trying to get my diet back on track recently too. If you'd like a diet buddy, let me know - we can message each other and keep ourselves honest (if you're interested). Switching diet sucks horribly. I know. But you'll feel better once you're on a routine. You'll feel more in control, calmer, and more capable. Anyway, pm me if you'd like a dietary buddy

Changing your eating habits is SO difficult at first, but if you just keep trying, and if you are forgiving of yourself when you mess it up for one reason or another, things WILL get easier and change will happen. Two years ago I found out I was gluten and lactose intolerant and it tooks months and months of trial and error to find out how and what I could eat. I cheated and screwed up over and over again, but I keep trying to get it right and have noticed that slowly my habits are changing. Now I am eating almost completely Paleo, but it's not perfect yet (will it ever be and does it have to be?).

Hang in there, give yourself some love and dive back into the fray! ;-)