Forums are back in action! ×

Hey there guys,

I'm Sybar and I am completely new to Nerd Fitness! I have been trying to motivate myself to get more active and thought this would be a good way to get myself up and moving! I currently just started archery but I am looking for a way to get in shape overall that doesn't necessarily involve your typical gym, as they are both expensive and just not my cup of tea. I want something more involved than just lifting weights and running in place! Any ideas would be great!

As for who I am, I am an 18 year old guy living in Colorado, about to start college. I am pretty slim and have recently been feeling self conscious about how thin I am (126 lbs, 5'9"), which is why I am looking to not become fit or toned, but not huge or built. But thanks for reading! Any tips, ideas, etc. are welcome!

• Like 1

Hey! 

Its great that you're taking an interest in your health and archery sounds seriously cool! There's lots of ways to get active that don't involve gyms (or treadmills! Lol). Have you had a look at any of the 4 week challenge threads? That's a great way of finding inspiration and getting to know the site and community better. 

If you want to bulk up then obviously you could lift weight with the Warriers but if that's not you cup of tea then maybe you could look at bodyweight exercises. Check out Waldo on here, or his own site strengthunbound.com to see his amazing transformation, done using bodyweight exercise only! And of course there's the Beginers Bodyweight. 

Have ve a look around and hopefully you will find some inspiration, and have some fun too. ;)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 1:34 AM, Sybar said:

I am looking to not become fit or toned, but not huge or built.

Welcome to the Rebellion!

Don't worry about getting "too" muscular. No one puts on muscle unintentionally - even those who have the easy-gainer genes have to lift a lot of really heavy things and eat a lot of protein and calories to build a few pounds of pure muscle. Given what you said about your current build, you're probably the sort who would have to really fight to gain significant muscle.

As for activities you want to do, check out your college's intramural sports and clubs. I bet they have martial arts, hiking, swimming, parkour, basketball, flag football, Frisbee golf...you get the idea :) They might also have a weight room that students can use for free or very low cost, just in case you find that your preferred activity would benefit from some strength training.

Good luck on your journey!

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

Am I correct in assuming you're into parkours then?  Seems like it might blend in well with the archery (in my probably way to vivid imagination).

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.