Forums are back in action! ×

Has anyone tried egg white protein powder?

I'm looking into taking a protein powder post-workout but can't do anything milk based as I'm lactose (and gluten) intolerant. It looks like my options are soy or egg white powders, but from what I have read it seems like maybe soy is not that good for me, which leaves just egg white powder.

Has anyone tried it? Is it palatable? Is it as good as the other types?

Thanks for any advice/comments.

its great... but i prefer to buy egg whites in cartons for protein as it will be less processed than the powder... you can also separate the white from whole eggs yourself... or eat the whole eggs, but there is a lot of cholesterol in the yolks which may be a concern if you have heart disease concerns...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Hmm. My understanding is that whey protein powders generally don't effect those with lactose intolerance. An allergy would be an altogether different animal, but you may be able to handle it with just a general intolerance.

Worth looking into, anyway.

Less sure about the gluten bit. Others could likely offer better insight into that aspect.

If all else fails, portions of animal protein in baggies and an accompanying carb make for a fine post-workout meal. Slightly less convenient, but nothing you can't overcome with a bit of planning.

And though I can't speak to egg-white protein powders, I can say that I love those little cartons of egg whites for my protein powders. I just dump a splash of it in with my milk or water and powder for a bit of extra texture and protein.

:)

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." --GK Chesterton

Domine, non sum dignus ut intres sub tectum meum, sed tantum dic verbo et sanabitur anima mea...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jbaileysewell

yeah, lactose = milk sugar, which is seperate from the whey. Lactase (lactose digesting enzyme) is also an ingredient in most whey powders, so fear not teh horrors of lactose intolerance! :)

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

its great... but i prefer to buy egg whites in cartons for protein as it will be less processed than the powder... you can also separate the white from whole eggs yourself... or eat the whole eggs, but there is a lot of cholesterol in the yolks which may be a concern if you have heart disease concerns...

I had the idea that after a workout it's better to drink your protein rather than eat solids, is that not true?

I had the idea that after a workout it's better to drink your protein rather than eat solids, is that not true?

There is very little requirement by the body to immediately ingest excess protein. Your body increases utilization of free amino-acids in the body for quite a few hours after exercise, so whether you drink some fast-acting protein versus digesting some solid protein over a couple hours makes very little difference.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I think as long as your getting some protein and a lil bit of carbohydrates to help with insulin uptake then its fine.

"whole eggs, but there is a lot of cholesterol in the yolks which may be a concern if you have heart disease concerns... "

Wasn't there research debunking that? Egg yolks contain an anti cholesterol agent within them. My understanding is that the origional research ignored that fact, and we've been stuck with the myth ever since.

I'm sure Steve mentioned it in his post about common sense.

You should be fine with whey...

I tried a few brands of egg protein once... They tasted about what I imagine bird poop to taste like... I ended up throwing most of it away.

Sonasty

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Okay, thanks everyone, I geuss I'm going to dump the egg white protein powder idea. I may try whey, though it seems wacky that it would somehow not have lactose in it. Are you guys sure, sure, sure?

Like I said, at the worst, look at the ingredients. If it lists lactase, that's the enzyme that gets added to lactose-free milk to get rid of the lactose.

As long as you're sure it's a lactose intolerance and not a milk protein allergy you're okay :-) just make sure to read the ingredient lists! I am lactose intolerant and I use whey protein. I don't know if there's any difference when you have liquid or food calories, but generally after I work out I just want a protein shake because I like them.