Forums are back in action! ×

Self Introduction =D

Hi!

I'm Addelas, and I've been a member of the NF Academy since last December. I purchased it as a Christmas present to myself, but I didn't really start using it until I graduated University this May. Before graduating, I had made school my #1 priority, and I am now excited to finally make my health my #1 priority!

A little about me: I'm not overweight by any means (approximately 20 BMI) but I am flabby and out of shape. I've joined NerdFitness to get stronger and more flexible, and look better (don't worry I do have specific goals, that is just the general summary ;) ).  I'm also planning to use the NF Epic Quest feature for learning to draw, learning to play piano, traveling goals, and learning Japanese.

Some challenges that follow me on my quest are Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and a hurt back; all of which I have made great improvements with in the past few years. I'm determined not to let them hold me back!

I'm pretty introverted, to the point where I struggle to maintain a social life even online out of it simply being too much effort to keep up with. But I am friendly! And since being a part of a community is a quest on the Academy (and I have no real life questing support), I am going to do my best to stay active here.

The nerdy stuff:
I'm an applications developer
OS of choice: Linux
Favorite video games: Zelda Ocarina of Time (N64) and Final Fantasy VII
Fandoms:  Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin, FFVII, Lord of the Rings (actually anything Tolkien-universe)

I also enjoy Star Wars, anime, spiders, nature, writing, and reading.

Well met everyone!

• Like 2

Well met indeed Addelas.  Welcome aboard.  

So, what kind of specific goals do you have in mind?  We are mid-way through a 4-week challenge now, but you can jump in anytime.  Or you can use the next few weeks to browse around and see what other people are doing with their challenges while you work up your own.

If you would like to see my personal challenge the link to it is in my signature.  Also, if you have any questions feel free to give me a shout.

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

Hi!

Good to have you on board, have you found your way around the site ok? Here's a couple of links that you might find useful. 

Here is a post explaining about the 4 Week Challenges. These are great for breaking your long term goals down into small, achievable targets. They're also a great way to integrate into the community. :)

This post explains the guilds. These are simply a way of grouping people together who have similar interests and goals. When you do your first challenge you will be a rebel, but once you've completed your challenge you can pick the guild you feel best suits you. 

I hope you enjoy being part of this fantastic community and just shout if there's anything that you need to know. :)

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Thanks for the welcomes and the helpful links bker1370 and Guzzi!

19 hours ago, bker1370 said:

...So, what kind of specific goals do you have in mind?  We are mid-way through a 4-week challenge now, but you can jump in anytime.  Or you can use the next few weeks to browse around and see what other people are doing with their challenges while you work up your own...

I will probably browse around this time, but I'll definitely be in on the next 4-week challenge!

As far as specific goals go, my largest strength goal right now is to start exercising with free weights (especially the barbell, which intimidates me greatly, as its almost half my weight on its own o.o). It seems small, but I'm quite a ways away from it right now, as I feel more comfortable starting with bodyweight exercises while I build up a basic strength foundation. My current strength goal is to be able to do 10 pushups. After starting with the free weights, I'd like to start lifting heavier and heavier. Flexibility wise, my stretch goal (hah, puns) is to be able to do the splits...but that may not be possible for me (I had a physical therapist tell me it was pointless for me to try to get more flexible) so I'm just going to see how close I can get...and maybe I can prove my physical therapist wrong. My current goal is to be able to touch the floor with my fingertips.

12 hours ago, Guzzi said:

...Good to have you on board, have you found your way around the site ok?...

I have not had too much time to explore the site yet, but I will you know if I run into trouble! ^_^

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Addelas said:

As far as specific goals go, my largest strength goal right now is to start exercising with free weights (especially the barbell, which intimidates me greatly, as its almost half my weight on its own o.o). It seems small, but I'm quite a ways away from it right now, as I feel more comfortable starting with bodyweight exercises while I build up a basic strength foundation. My current strength goal is to be able to do 10 pushups. After starting with the free weights, I'd like to start lifting heavier and heavier. Flexibility wise, my stretch goal (hah, puns) is to be able to do the splits...but that may not be possible for me (I had a physical therapist tell me it was pointless for me to try to get more flexible) so I'm just going to see how close I can get...and maybe I can prove my physical therapist wrong. My current goal is to be able to touch the floor with my fingertips.

Bodyweight exercises are an excellent place to start (and cost nothing as a bonus).

For your push-ups goal, you can start with wall-pushups where you are standing and pushing against the wall.

When those get too easy you move to an incline pushup where you are against a box or chair or bench, moving lower and lower until you are on the floor, or you move to the floor but do them on your knees working until you are more and more straight and before you know it you are doing full proper form pushups.

Moving on from there to using weights, if the size of the barbell intimidates you, you can begin with dumbbells which can be found as light 1-2 pounds.  Some gyms also have smaller bars (generally called ladies' bars as they generally  have a smaller diameter grip area to accommodate smaller hands) which are usually about 15 pounds lighter as well).

As for the flexibility, I tend to disagree with your physical therapist.  I am no expert by any means (my own flexibility needs quite a bit of work actually LOL).  However, I am pretty sure that almost all of us can get more flexible than we are.  Splits may be out of the question for most of us, but, barring actual physical disabilities that prevent it, we can pretty much all improve our flexibility over where we are at present (excepting, of course, those few of us who can already twist ourselves into a pretzel LOL).

Thanks for the all tips! :D

I didn't know about the smaller barbells. The gym I'm planning to learn free weights in is at my workplace, I'll have to ask the fitness coaches if they have the smaller barbell there when I sign up. That would be awesome, especially when I'm first practicing proper form.

My therapist's reasoning was something about either a nerve or a tendon (I can't quite remember, it was a year ago) being too short for me to ever make any progress I tend to disagree with him on my flexibility as well. xD

If there is a physical reason, you may never reach the flexibility you desire, but surely there is room for improvement.

Not all gyms have the smaller barbells, although I know mine does.  Although mine seems to be fairly unique in several ways, the most important to me being that we get a keycard allowing 24-hour access meaning if I want to lift after work (roughly 10-11 pm) I can...  If I want to go and lift at 3am (for some strange reason) I can do that too. LOL.

Here is a pic I found online describing different barbell sizes (the size differences are pretty noticeable just by looking at them).  The graphic does seem to have at least one digit missing on the length in inches though LOL.   The men's would be 86.6 inches in length and the women's 79.1 inches in length.

screenshot2015-03-18at10242pm.png