Forums are back in action! ×

Ok, so I am a Newby. I'm currently overweight by about 10 lbs., but I'm not on here to lose weight. -- I had my thyroid removed about 18 years ago and at times I put work before Dr appointments for blood work and refills. So now I am 6 months without meds (fixed that 2 days ago with a dr visit and new meds Rx). 

I was a morbidly obese person as a teen. Got cancer and then lost most of me weight wise. 

I stayed small in my 20's after my obesity and even most of my 30's. 

But now I am 37 and I'm saggy (arms legs and don't even guess where). 

I already started the paleo diet, but I worry I will be hospitalized for a 3rd time for "malnutrition". -- I'm almost never hungry and have to "remember" to eat when my kids demand food. 

But my BIGGEST problem is EXERCISE. I HATE it!  I WANT to learn how to streanth train as easy as possible for an old mom starting. 

• Like 1

Coming at this in a positive way:

If you start from nothing, just about anything will help you improve.  Like I read somewhere (I think it was in "starting strength" but I'm not sure): if you're a total beginner, riding a bike will improve your bench press.

You'll have to watch what you eat though.  You can't build muscle if you have nothing to build them with.

Don't over do it.  Start slowly.  Respect your rest.  Muscle isn't built during training but after training.  Training just tells your body what you want it to be capable of.  It's afterwards that your body actually adapts (ie makes muscles)

• Like 1

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

Hey, welcome on board! 

Have you found your way around the forum ok? It's a big place and it can be quite daunting so I'll give you some links to help you. 

How you use the forum is up to you. You'll find that you gravitate towards certain section and almost ignore others. ;) You can start a Battle log and use it to track your progress, you can take part in challenges, you can simply soak up information and use it to improve your workouts/eating etc, or you can just hang out in the Chat Room. It's totally up to you. :) 

I like to recommend the 4 Week Challenges to people because it makes you an active participant in the forum. Here is the description of how to take part in a challenge. The next one starts on the 17th of July. 

By taking part in the challenges you will meet other members, form friendships and get some accountability. They're also a really good tool to help you reach your long term goals by breaking them down into smaller, short term goals which I think is important in keeping you motivated.

The "Guilds" are really just a way of grouping people together who share interests. People post their challenge threads under whichever Guild they want to belong to or feel matches their goals. Here is the description of the guilds. 

Your first challenge should be posted in the Rebel section and then you can go on to post your challenges in whichever section you want. And there's nothing stopping you from reading and posting in ANY section at any time. You can also take part (or suggest a new) PVP (person vs person) challenge or a PVE (person vs environment) with other members.

It sounds like you're leaning towards the Warriors, and there are plenty of might warrior women on here to inspire you, but what makes you want to try weightlifting? I just wonder because you have said you want to get fit but you don't like sport, but there are many different ways to get "fit". Some of which you may never have even considered. 

I'm not saying that lifting isn't right for you, I'm just curious. :) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Welcome to NF. 

A program called "Power to the People," written by Pavel Tsatsouline, is the most abbreviated strength program I am aware of.  Two sets of five reps for two separate exercises.  Not saying you would want to keep cycling on it forever, but you mentioned that you wanted to strength train and that you hated exercise.  This routine is so short that you might find it easy to begin with empty bar weight (or bodyweight, as there is a "naked warrior" version of this as well) and just get hooked on it as a habit.  As your strength increases, you will find it easier to do many other things, and you may come to like being physically active.  Should help your appetite too.