Forums are back in action! ×

How paleo/primal is your diet?

Absolutely not.

I tried Paleo for a total of 4 days and could hardly move, wasn't sleeping, had no brain power, and generally felt like I'd been run over by a herd of dinosaurs and then beaten for an extended time with a mace. I totally get the "low carb flu" thing, but holy shit, I couldn't handle that. Since I started eating grains again, I feel like I can conquer the world. Gluten intolerances are becoming more and more common, but not everyone has them.

I do try to eat a lot of veggies, and I'm trying to cut out most "fake" or fried foods, but I'm going the generally healthy route, rather than a specific diet. It works for some, not for others.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

My numbers are probably similar to spezzy (98%-ish) but I'm not a big fan of the "I'm <random number>% Paleo" club. If you want to base your diet off Paleo ideas, great, I think you've made a great choice. But don't post "I'm 80% Paleo and I can't seem to make any progress" while eating foods you may have problems with but haven't tested removal of. Hell, I think most (read: most, not all{looking at you Mr. Waldo}) healthy eaters, even those with few allergies following MyPlate and such, already eat 70% or more paleo. Their cheats are just built in to their diet (whole grain foods, artificial sweeteners, etc).

Anywho, mini-rant. I guess what I'm saying is: don't call yourself "XX% Paleo". Eat what brings you health as much as you can, and leave out all the rest (isn't that a Linkin Park song?).

My numbers are probably similar to spezzy (98%-ish) but I'm not a big fan of the "I'm <random number>% Paleo" club. If you want to base your diet off Paleo ideas, great, I think you've made a great choice. But don't post "I'm 80% Paleo and I can't seem to make any progress" while eating foods you may have problems with but haven't tested removal of. Hell, I think most (read: most, not all{looking at you Mr. Waldo}) healthy eaters, even those with few allergies following MyPlate and such, already eat 70% or more paleo. Their cheats are just built in to their diet (whole grain foods, artificial sweeteners, etc).

Anywho, mini-rant. I guess what I'm saying is: don't call yourself "XX% Paleo". Eat what brings you health as much as you can, and leave out all the rest (isn't that a Linkin Park song?).

I like this philosophy. Paleo is a great base for making healthy choices, and I'm not going to stress over a piece of chocolate (just for the antioxidants -- really) or a cup of coffee. I don't think you can really be paleo if you're cheating with grains, since they screw with your system for a long time after you've eaten them, and the whole point of paleo is to avoid poisoning yourself. I like paleo because it makes my choices easier. Eating meat and vegetables doesn't make you paleo--it makes you human.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

I drink milk, eat sandwiches, enjoy a toasted pita now and again with my peanut butter, which I also put in my shakes. I enjoy a pint or four of beer, and will occasionally indulge in a muffin or donut or cookie.

Also, I like oatmeal. And whiskey. And pizza.

Other than that, though, I'm pretty much 100%.

;)

You. Are. My. Hero. haha! Whiskey and beer are my biggest weaknesses. & an english muffin with pb&j with banana. Mmmm...

I don't know how to calculate it in a percentage. Going full paleo/primal would be hard for us. So for compromise, we have cut down on a lot of things considered bad.

Drink mostly water, cut down on coffee.

Cut out almost all bread.

Make a conscious effort to not eat grains.

Take 2 or 3 scoops of vegetables and just a small portion of potatoes instead of the other way around.

Eat more eggs and meats.

If we have pasta, smaller portions with larger sides of veggies.

Snack on fruits and vegetables.

No take-out unless we absolutely have to.

I used to get headaches on a weekly basis... I've only had one this year since I started working out and eating better.

That's partly why I want to go more full-on paleo. I don't honestly think I could stick with 100% paleo forever, but if I did a challenge and then slowly added a few things in that don't make me feel like I'm losing out on anything I really enjoy then I'd be better off. I noticed that even since just a week ago when I started eating healthier that my headaches went from every few days to I've only had one once. I also was getting sick constantly and I'm hoping that getting fit will help boost my immune system. It was crashed.

I'm not going to stress over a piece of chocolate (just for the antioxidants -- really) or a cup of coffee.

Yes, just for the antioxidants. Me, too. Umm... Yea.

Fitocracy! | Running Trainer | Facebook | Twitter | Current Challenge Blog!

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

I eat Primal, but I probably indulge in more cheese and potatoes (and the occasional small serving of rice) than I should. For the next 6 week challenge I am going to eat as close to fully Primal as I can. One thing I like about Primal is the permitted vices - dark chocolate and red wine? Yes please. I just need to make sure I'm not overdoing those vices. I can't really say what % I am or am not Primal; I'm the only one in my family of 4 eating this way, so sometimes eating full-on Primal is a bit of a challenge.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Hell, I think most (read: most, not all{looking at you Mr. Waldo}) healthy eaters, even those with few allergies following MyPlate and such, already eat 70% or more paleo.

It depends on whether you count individual items in meals or whole meals.

If you have grains (Wheat, Rice, Oats, etc...), potatoes, and dairy in your diet and don't avoid even simple processed foods like ketchup, salt, and brown sugar there is a pretty decent chance that 0% or darn close to 0% of your full meals are paleo. Drill down into cooking processes, and things like canola oil can turn even very paleo things unpaleo.

For example, I just smoked a big fat pork shoulder yesterday. Paleo? Sure, a big hunk of meat. But not so fast, that bad boy got a good rubbing (rubbin is lovin') of salt and brown sugar (among other assorted spicy goodness) following a day of brining in a salty liquid with a similar spice profile, making it a very unpaleo big hunk of meat. I'll see your bacon and raise you pulled pork BBQ.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I am planning to make that spagetti squash next week . I will get a pack of pasta just as a back up in case I really mess up the squash.

oooo, l LOVE spaghetti squash. the key is not cook the living shit out of it.

I am not paleo or primal...i am anti gluten. (bread, pasta some grains)....at least right now i am....i made a discovery by accident that gluten gives me indigestion and zits.....and with the results I am experiencing, I am currently avoiding gluten at all costs.

but, I drink milk, i eat beans.....and rice.

Never let your fear decide your fate.

I eat Primal, but I probably indulge in more cheese and potatoes (and the occasional small serving of rice) than I should. For the next 6 week challenge I am going to eat as close to fully Primal as I can. One thing I like about Primal is the permitted vices - dark chocolate and red wine? Yes please. I just need to make sure I'm not overdoing those vices. I can't really say what % I am or am not Primal; I'm the only one in my family of 4 eating this way, so sometimes eating full-on Primal is a bit of a challenge.

AMEN to dark chocolate and red wine!!!! My biggest problem is the fact that they recommend 1 to 2 glasses of red wine per day. Unfortunately sometimes I get "glass" and "bottle" mixed up!! It's tough - the bottles are made out of glass. I'm so confused :emmersed:

Obviously feeding a family is more expensive than feeding one person (even one Spezzy) but it ned not be super costly Look for bargain meats and buy veggies that are on sale/in season. Hit up farmer's markets whn you can for good prices. Odds are good you have one yer round somewhere near you. Remember: there is nothing wrong with frozen vegetables. In many cases they are better than what passes for fresh .

As for my diet, it's "very" paleo. I cant really put a percent on it, but here's my diversions in an average week:

1: some splenda in tea.

2: a side of sour cream once a week with carrots.

3: I usully have a diet soda or two every other monday when gamers invade my house.

4: On weeks when I do not, I have a smoothie of some sort on a Friday.

I consider that a loty of cheats. I'm trying to cut back (maybe this next challenge?). Most people would probably consider it very few.

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge

If money is tight right now, focus on the principles of Paleo but don't worry about organic/free range/pastured, which is a lot of the cost. Take some fish oil to help with the omega 3/6 imbalance, and improve the quality of your food when you can. Grain fed meats are vastly superior to processed foods, so it's a big step in the right direction.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

I follow the Primal guide fairly closely, but i also have work obligations that bring me out to a restaurant. Even then, I'll try to order clean, but it's hard to avoid things like vegetable oil or whatever they cook stuff in at restaurants. Other places that I "cheat" are when giant beef cuts are BOGO, and are obviously grain fed but too cheap to pass up (I am in an apt and don't have the freezer space to buy a half cow). I also enjoy things like a sprinkle of blue cheese or goat cheese on my salads sometimes, along with a glass of wine or bourbon once a week or so.

This weekend is my goddaughter's 1 year birthday party and I will be partaking in the best pizza Pittsburgh has to offer!

2/13/12

Starting Primal and free weights

10/02/12

Starting LeanGains. Still lifting all the things.

Fitocracy