Forums are back in action! ×

. I have been lurking around the site for years. I participated in a few 6 week challenges that didn't go well. after a long hiatus I starting over from scratch. I realize that i never introduce myself to the community.   Hello my name is Marcus. I also go by Marc or Mac or West. I am 6'5 and 380 pounds. I am lost and do not know what to do. I will like your help.

• Like 1

Hey, welcome back!

What was it that went wron with your challenges last time around? Maybe we can help you to get back on track for the next challenge on the 17th. They run on a 4 week format now instead of 6 weeks. Just FYI :) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

What would you like to do?  What's your goal?

Start by defining that.  If you don't know where you're going, it's hard to find the way.  

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

20 minutes ago, Igaduma said:

What would you like to do?  What's your goal?

Start by defining that.  If you don't know where you're going, it's hard to find the way.  

I my goal is to be 230 pounds and to get stonger. I want to learn how to do a push up and a pull up. I really want to clean up my diet. I want to really change my life around.

4 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Hey, welcome back!

What was it that went wrong with your challenges last time around? Maybe we can help you to get back on track for the next challenge on the 17th. They run on a 4 week format now instead of 6 weeks. Just FYI :) 

oh it's 4 weeks now. that cool. What when wrong with my challenges is maybe doing a bit too much and burning myself out.  time management is a  problem because i go to school full time and i don't know how to fit everything in a 24 hour period. I don't have a lot of resources where I live.

Well, to begin working on your push ups and pull ups there is an excellent site called Start Bodyweight Training which gives progressions for both of those as well as other bodyweight exercises.  I forget where, but I saw it mentioned in someone's post a while back and saved the link (which I put in for you above).

As far as losing weight, I can give a few general guidelines if you want but as I am personally in need of adding some muscle weight I am sure there are others who can give better advice.

The best general advice I can give is:

1. small successive changes will be sustainable, while large radical changes will not.

2. as is commonly quoted around here, you can not out run (or out lift or otherwise out train) your fork...  the bulk of your battle for your goals will be on your plate.  What that means exactly for you will have to be determined, although there are plenty of people here who can help you with that (I can offer some advice but as I said above there are probably people better qualified than myself in this area--although I do have a pretty scientific method to determine roughly what calories and macros you need whether you are trying to lose, gain or maintain weight.  If you are interested feel free to give me a shout or PM me and I will gladly share what knowledge I have).

3.  you say you want to clean up your diet, that means different things to different people so the first step there would be to know what your current diet is like (sounds like you are a college student so I can probably take a guess that fast food/junk food are major parts of it like most college students).  The second step would be to determine what is a clean, proper diet according to YOU.  Then determine what small steps you can take to get from where you are to where you want to be.

Again, feel free to give me a shout or tag me (use @ and my screen name to tag me) or PM me if I can do anything else to help or if you have questions that you prefer to not ask publicly.

• Like 1

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

38 minutes ago, bker1370 said:

although I do have a pretty scientific method to determine roughly what calories and macros you need whether you are trying to lose, gain or maintain weight.

Could you tell us about that?

I'm not very knowledgeable about that.

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

It comes from a book I have called Testosterone Advantage Plan.  It is a diet and exercise plan geared toward men to maximize their natural production of testosterone.

You begin by determining basal metabolic rate (which if I remember correctly is roughly weight in pounds x 11)

adjust based on age and activity level to determine daily maintenance calories (they provide a chart with the percents to multiply by based on age and activity level).

then you if you want to lose weight you subtract calories from that (500-1000 per day depending on starting number and goals).

if you wish to gain you add calories to that number.

You then determine the grams and percentage of calories from protein (in my case roughly 140g of protein goal per day which is roughly 20% of my calories).

You then split the rest of your calories evenly between fats and carbs (in my case 40% each)

Obviously, you get the best results if those calories come from high-quality sources but it does mean that junk food is permissible as long as it fits in with your target numbers.

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

On 7/5/2016 at 10:53 PM, bker1370 said:

although I do have a pretty scientific method to determine roughly what calories and macros you need whether you are trying to lose, gain or maintain weight.  If you are interested feel free to give me a shout or PM me and I will gladly share what knowledge I have.

Sure do. 

also I am a college student. I also live with my parents because it's cheaper( and it's only a 2 year college)

On 7/5/2016 at 10:53 PM, bker1370 said:

Well, to begin working on your push ups and pull ups there is an excellent site called Start Bodyweight Training which gives progressions for both of those as well as other body weight exercises.

That is a cool looking site. the exercise looks really simple.  I can see the challenge of doing pulls ups is finding something that is taller then me. most pull up bars are just a few  inches taller then me.