Forums are back in action! ×

ready for a new start

gēng shǐ is Mandarin meaning "to make a new start". That's why I'm here. I've been overweight since I was a kid - 35 years ago. I hit 290 when I turned 30 and have bounced around within the same 10 lbs ever since. As I'm getting older (almost 46) it's getting harder and harder to carry around the extra and it's taking a toll. I'm tired of it and here to find motivation and community to help in the journey of making changes. I like the incremental approach espoused by Steve and I'm in to most things nerd, so this feels like the right spot. 

I'm want to accomplish a handful of things: lose weight (70 -90 lbs.), get stronger, and build endurance. I've got to make a lot of changes in eating and lifestyle to get there, but am in for a long game.  

A bit about me: I'm married with 4 kids (19, 17, 14, 11) and work as a Dean and professor of sociology at a university in Oklahoma City. I'm looking forward to the conversation and the results. 

11 minutes ago, geng shi said:

am in for a long game.

good, because there are no overnight miracles

Take it step by step.  Small changes.  If you overdo it, you'll most likely quit.

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.

Welcome on board @geng shi

I think you've found the right community! Nobody here will judge you, we're all here to encourage each other to reach our goal, whatever they might be. :)  There's a member who's story I think you might find inspiring, This is Rabbi (I hope that link works). He's gone from being overweight and out of shape to performing movements that young, fit guys aspire to. 

Theres a new challenge going to start on the 17th, that would be a great way for you to get started and find your motivation. Fancy it??? :) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I can discern a few minor changes :P

My Profile        |     I must not fear.  Fear is the mind killer.

My Battle Log  |     Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.

|     I will face my fear.  I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

Start to Run      |     And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

|   Where the fear has gone, there will be nothing.  Only I will remain.