Forums are back in action! ×

This is my first week and just thought I should pop in and say hi!  I'm hoping that Nerd Fitness will help me to become more active and healthy--I've definitely fallen off the wagon. Losing weight would be a definite perk, but right now my goal is to just feel healthier, be able to do more, and have more energy.

I'm not really sure which guild I should join, but I tend to do more running and walking so it sounds like I should be in the Rangers or the Scouts.  I'm currently using the Zombies, Run! app, which I really enjoy and helps keeps me motivated (if there are any other apps you know of similar to this, I'd love to hear about them!).  I'm very new to strength training so that's what I'm struggling the most with right now.   I tend to have trouble sticking to more self-guided diet/exercise plans and was hoping for some advice on how the rest of you keep yourself committed to following them, particularly when you wake up stiff and sore.   I'm trying to start small and am cutting back on things like eating out and sugary things first before I do any sort of major overhaul to my diet, but I think what I struggle with the most is taking off a day because I can't go out due to bad weather or being stiff and sore from the previous day's exercise and then falling back to square one once I can go out again.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give and I hope you're having a great day where ever you are!

• Like 1

Welcome to NF!

Don't worry about the guilds too much if you're feeling unsure, you don't actually have to join a guild.  They are really just a way of grouping people's challenge threads together with others who do the same sorts of things. You do your first challenge as a Rebel and if you can't decide on a guild you can always stay in the Rebels. There's a good post Here explaining the guilds.

It's very difficult to keep yourself motivated in the beginning but as you start to see improvements things get easier. I found that joining in the 4 Week Challenges kept me accountable, especially if I posted regularly.  Here is @Xanate's first challenge and if you read through the thread you will see how much it helped her when she started posting regularly.  Here is a post explaining how the challenges work.  Could that be the thing that helps you? The next challenge starts on the 17th if you want to join in? 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Welcome! If you want to jump in to a challenge but need some time to figure things out, come hang out with us Rebels! There's a good supportive bunch who will help you sort it out. 

And there are plenty of people who have challenge goals like "replace one soda a day with water" and "cut fast-food intake to 2 days a week." Those aren't small goals, they are sustainable goals that will make a big difference in your health. Keep adding those little steps up, and you'll find you've overhauled your diet after all!

Whatever goals you want to pick (it almost doesn't matter for the first round, just pick two or three and dive in), you'll find a cheerleading section that will give helpful advice when you want it and call you on your b.s. (in the nicest possible way) when you need it. 

Good luck on your journey!

• Like 1

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin