Forums are back in action! ×

Heya Everyone. Any South East Asians and Shift Worker Here?

Hi and whats up everyone?

I registered far earlier on this forum but kind of busy with life and totally forgot about this awesome community. I couldn't think of a cool nickname either than using my own name with a number at the end of it. I know I'm boring.Bleehhk.

Anyway, Yup, me name is Zaid from Singapore. I'm like living half way around the world and I believe it is the only Island that is recognized as a developed country. In fact it is the only island city-state. With only two seasons, Rain or Shine, those living here can't possibly have any excuses not to keep fit all year round isn't it? But I guess not. Lifestyle here is like  so fast paced and you are expected to work long hours just to make ends meet.

I'm currently a chemical process technician working for a German company called Evonik, the one who is sponsoring BVB Dortmund. Been working in shift for almost three years now and I would agree that shift work is hard on the body in addition to the physical labor job we need to do. We value our off days so much as we need them to recover from the workload and inconsistent sleeping time. To think about improving our fitness level would need a lot of motivation, hard work and proper strategy to prevent burning out.

Luckily I'm single without many commitments to begin with. If my off days falls on a weekday, I would spend most of the time, working out, reading, studying and probably lazing off with my cat. If my off days falls on weekends, then that is when my schedule will start to get packed. 

When it comes to fitness, I used to be skinny and underweight, but now I'm having problems with tummy fats with small arms and legs. Probably due to irregular sleeping time affecting my weight now. It's very confusing for me. It's like I want to grow stronger and bigger but my tummy is the only thing that grows faster and easily. Annooyyyiing:/..haha

I have just joined membership with Anytime Fitness, hopefully I can start with a beginner workout regime and see results..CANT WAIT..

Anyway if anyone is on shift too and hitting the gym, do beep me Id love to hear your advice. Also,if anyone coming to Singapore for vacation you can beep me for some tips going around here!:D

Here are some awesome place to go!

plaza-singapura.jpg

Sentosa.jpg

Esplanade.jpg

Welcome Zaid. I'm a new guy here myself. I'm located in the US but work swing shift myself so I 

understand your frustrations.

For now I have just been working on getting the nutrition side under control. Starting tomorrow I will start a workout routine. I'll be 

using Al Kavadlo's app for now. Mostly body weight stuff so I won't be limited by having to to drive to a gym after a 12 hour day.  

Heya @MarekBoone

Nutrition is always troublesome for me too. I'm still learning to cook some simple delicious food. Maybe going paleo. Then again I need to have time management and discipline too. You working out at home or at the gym? I've just joined an anytime fitness gym nearby. Can't wait to start once this weekend.

Hope everything goes smooth for you.