Forums are back in action! ×

Hello. My name is Jaren and I am new to the fitness world. I am 14 years old so here is my story. When I was around the age of 8 - 11 I was always outside. I was in shape and ate normal and things were going well for me until puberty kicked in. Growth spurts already hit me at age 12 and I was eating like I had a never ending hole in my stomach. I was still playing outside with friends and still active until I got my first Xbox. Half outside and half was in. Now I am 14 and I am 5'11 1/2 and 230 pounds and I am always inside watching YouTube and playing PC games. The only activeness I get is cleaning up the house for hours everyday and it is not enough.  I am willing to do anything to get fit because I cannot live like this any longer. Well that's my story hope to see you guys around :) <3

On 13/07/2016 at 5:50 AM, SevenofSeven said:

Welcome Jaren, it's good to see you wanting to improve yourself!

I hope you have success with your journey, just remember, never give up, never surrender and if I could gif that I would! :)

Here you go!

never-give-up.gif

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Welcome on board @Jaren L.

It's great to see someone deciding to take control and responsibility of their health at such a young age.  There are many members on here who went through the same process as you but have only found the courage to do something about it as adults.

Have you read some of Steve's articles?  There's a lot of really good information in them. I'm sure you've heard it before, but you can't outrun your fork. You need to start working towards a healthier diet as well as introducing some small changes to your routine to build some better habits.  Notice the "working towards" bit.  You won't be able to alter your diet drastically overnight and you shouldn't try, that way lies failure. Start working on one thing and keep it up until it becomes the norm, your default setting, then pick something else, work on that for a month or two. Maybe start with cutting out soda (if you drink a lot of it then this would be a major difference to your calorie intake) or fast food, or portion control... Whatever it is that you feel would benefit you the most.  

It needs to be sustainable though, don't go nuts trying to change everything at once. You will eventually run out of willpower and BOOM you go back to square one.  Do not pass Go.  Do not collect $200.  (is that reference lost on today's generation?)

As for exercise, the trick is to find something you enjoy and to bring more movement into your day.  Why not set up a schedule for times when you can and can't play your Xbox?  Any exercise is good for you, but I like to remind people just how beneficial walking is.  When you're overweight it's not exactly fun trying to exercise, you get out of breath, sweaty, red in the face, you feel like everyone else is doing better than you...  If that's how you feel then why not start with going for a walk once a day?  Read This if you need some convincing. ;) 

This community is probably the best resource you will find outside of the Nerd Fitness Academy (if you haven't read about it then you really should) but you need to be an active member of the community to get help.  Why not dip your toes in the water and check out peoples challenge threads, or even start your own!  The current challenge starts on the 17th but don't worry if you're late starting.  Here is Spezzy's post explaining how it works if you haven't read it already.

Good luck with your journey, I hope to see you around and don't be afraid to ask if there's anything we can help you with. :) 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously