Forums are back in action! ×

Does Anyone Else Feel Alone?

Does anyone else feel like they're completely alone in their fitness journey? The people in my life are all so unhealthy. My family and friends delight in eating until they can't, having dessert for every meal, etc. Sometimes I feel like there's no end in sight for my being overweight and immobile. I look out and all I see is an ocean of the unhappy and unfit...

That's not all. I have to admit, I also feel separated from myself in a way. Like the body I inhabit isn't my true self. My body feels thick, heavy, and... I don't know... "wrong." I definitely don't have the body of my inner 23 year old self. The fat makes me stiff and clunky. I don't feel like me.

• Like 1

That's why we have a website. ;) Sorry about your family, sometimes there is just nothing you can do about em.  Luckily you can choose to spend most of your time with more like minded individuals.

Don't focus so much on other people's health habits (or lack thereof).  It will just make you depressed and/or insufferably self righteous.  We all have our vices.  Love your family as they are, and just be the best You that you can.  If I sound like an after school special, I'm just telling the truth.  Concentrating on the flaws of others will never make you happy.  Your chances of happiness are higher if you focus on what you can control, which is (you guessed it) yourself.  Make yourself awesome and let everything else ride.

• Like 5

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

You are definitely NOT alone in suffering this.  There have been so many posts on the subject, it's so frustrating!  But even worse is when those people actually try to sabotage your fitness or health - "Here I made you some brownies."  Or the ones who act like your fitness or health decisions are some kind of judgement or criticism of them.  

I have both in the form of the bf's mother.  She constantly brings utter crap to our house "for the kids" even though she knows that they are only allowed 1 sweet thing a day.  She can't be told either, she throws tantrums and storms off crying if you say anything about it, I'm good with that but the bf... not so much.  She also brings crap for us, and always wants to order a takeaway if she is there at dinner time.  If you turn anything down she starts the "Well, I just thought it was a nice treat for you, but obviously it's not appreciated. I can't do anything right can I? I shouldn't even bother coming round in the future!"  Personally I agree with her, haha!  If only she would stick to it!

• Like 2

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

On 7/12/2016 at 8:41 PM, Kage said:

That's not all. I have to admit, I also feel separated from myself in a way. Like the body I inhabit isn't my true self. My body feels thick, heavy, and... I don't know... "wrong." I definitely don't have the body of my inner 23 year old self. The fat makes me stiff and clunky. I don't feel like me.

I still feel this way some days. It sucks; it really, really sucks. Have you done the bit yet where you go to turn a corner and accidentally bounce off it instead? I must've been going through an exceptionally clumsy phase, because there was almost an entire month not too long ago where I couldn't seem to figure out my own body's spacial parameters! I eventually got to the point where I just make super-wide turns to avoid collision... I still do that, actually. Oh, and my first attempt at yoga felt so frustrating. It wasn't just a lack of (previously owned) flexibility; it was that my own rolls were literally - painfully - getting in the way. It suuuuucked.

I'll tell you this, though: I'm still trying to get healthier. And even though I haven't made too much progress, I gotta admit - the little bit of progress I have made is worth all the awful feelings and embarrassment it took to achieve. I lost 3 measly pounds two challenges ago; I've gained back 2 of them. But I honestly don't care, because that 1 remaining empty pound means that the effort is paying off. I've yo-yo'd between 145Lbs and 185Lbs for the past several years. Every time I gain weight back, it's utterly demoralizing. And every time I start trying to get fit again, I find resistance from friends and family who all have their own opinions of how I look, and how I should live. Getting fit and healthy is a constant struggle, but as the pic says:

1ca757f3510d6b04c36c779c648113ce.jpg

So no, you're not alone. And yes, it's worth pushing through.

• Like 2

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Hmm... what... where did that voice come from ?????  (sorry, couldn't resist ;-) )

You are SO not alone. Excess weight making you feel clunky and whatnot.. that's actually a good sign. Shows that you want to change.

Try to focus on that. Your family and friends might not want to go down that road, and that is cool and something you will need to accept.

They are still the good people you know and love, it's just that when it comes to food, you will have your own thing going on.

Don't try to make them join you, but show them how serious you are about "your" current line in terms of food. They might not understand what you are after, but they will want to help you.

Remember that sensory deprivation causes hallucinations

It is very hard to be around people who don't support your decision to be healthy. Don't give up though! If they urge you to eat unhealthy, tell them NO. If they get mad or offended...let them; but don't change your mind. Tell them you think it's rude & disrespectful to be so unsupportive. Set your boundaries & hold fast! Do not be moved by the pressure they put upon you.

• Like 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria