Forums are back in action! ×

Putting myself out there!

Hello NerdFitness Community!

I'm a 21 year old college student attempting fitness for the first time ever. I am not athletic, intimidated by the gym, and have limited cooking skillz (pasta). I'm a beginner in every possible way :)

Why do I want to do this? Not long ago I was very unhealthy. I got debilitating migraines and was told I had chronic fatigue syndrome my senior year of high school. As a result of having no energy and basically sleeping all the time, I became fairly significantly underweight. I would be lying if I didn't admit this was the hardest time in my life. I couldn't go to school (hard life for a nerd), see my friends, or do anything fun and got pretty depressed. The long recovery process hurt my self esteem a lot, as well.

BUT now, years later, I feel like I'm finally back on my feet again. I've gotten back to a normal weight and have energy for the first time in quite a while :) However I lost a lot of muscle mass and am startlingly weak. I know that my body has the capability to do some amazing things and I'm ready to start achieving them!

Ultimate (Long Term) Goals: Get stronger, better self esteem (believe in myself), learn how to eat/cook healthy meals, and... Run a half marathon!

My main question is, What are some good short term goals to set for myself? Keep in mind that I am probably at the lowest level of fitness. Not overweight by any means, but horribly out of shape. (I had very little energy and was almost completely sedentary for like 3 years). Any help/support is greatly appreciated!

Katie

Welcome! You've joined a really fantastic group. Maybe your first "goal" should be a lifestyle commitment, something along the lines of, "for 6 months I will consciously eat good food every day and exercise 5 times per week".

Facing what intimidates you is a great, great accomplishment in and of itself - if you can afford a membership to a gym, go there frequently and explore it in its entirety so it becomes very familiar. Let the dumbells become your friends. They offer a great introduction to lifting free weights. You'll find a lot of help on this forum regarding specific lifts and regimens.

Hey and welcome! You said you want to eventually be able to run a half marathon, why not set yourself a first short term goal of getting to 5km? The C25K (Couch to 5km) program has been used my a few people here who I'm sure recommend it :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Twitter Blog

Attributes:

Strength (STR): 3

Dexterity (DEX): 1

Stamina (STA): 4

Constitution (CON): 2

Wisdom (WIS): 3

Charisma (CHA): 2

Welcome!!!!

Glad to have you. There a hundreds of different options available to you. What I would suggest is try them all and find out what you like best. IE: Try working you way up to running long distance for a month, see how it feels and try to find that runners high (I'd suggest posting in the runners guild for help with a good starter running program/buy Steve's Nerd Fitness Running Guide), then check out weight lifting (Once again the guild/Steve's Book/Starting Strength [free copies online, just PM me]. Try gymnastics. Try PARKOUR (Its my favorite).

As for your goals check out this article for Steve and Staci's definition of excellent shape. http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/02/23/a-newbies-guide-to-nerd-fitness/

If you have questions don't hesitate to ask anyone of us. It really is a very friendly community.

P.s. Try parkour its the best!

WELCOME!

I noticed you posted almost two months ago.. sooo hows it going? Did you figure out your short term goals?

"If you want to make your dreams come true, the first thing you have to do is wake up." - J.M Power.

CURRENT CHALLENGE - FACEBOOK - MY EPIC QUEST TO DO LIST

"It is not who you are that holds you back, it is who you think you are not" -Anonymous

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished" -Tao Te Ching