Forums are back in action! ×

Wow, it's been a lot longer than I'm sure I realize that I've been in here (ALMOST 3 YEARS!?).

Maybe I should re-introduce myself.

My name is Brandon, I originally joined as a Monk (I've been studying martial arts for ~12 years now), although more my focus has been on strength training using free-weights. I've been going through the Starting Strength program with some good results. Although, I hurt my back a couple months ago and just barely (as in two days ago) got back to my previous squat PR (235).

I learned a few things from my back injury:

• If a muscle injury feels better once it warms up, it's a muscle belly injury (not a tear)
  • The best way to work through muscle belly injuries by focusing on high-rep/low-weight sets going for perfect form (high reps is 3x20) - look up the Bill Starr Method (it'll still be really painful, to follow through every day though - which I didn't do, but my 3 days a week doing it for a while definitely helped my back feel better)
  • Use a valsalva maneuver to create a lot of intra abdominal pressure to reinforce your lower back (nice deep belly breath in at the start of the rep, don't let it out until the end of the rep) - check out the starting strength youtube channel for more information
  • To go with the valsalva use a weight belt properly to help reinforce the abdominal pressure you're creating - put it around your waist and pull it as tight as you can
  • With muscle injuries a chiropractor is the worst person to go see (I was almost in tears while the doc was trying to adjust me)
  • A massage therapist on the other hand will work wonders (then go see the chiropractor to get your skeleton straightened out)

I started lifting at the beginning of the year and I've managed to keep with it, yeah it was really really discouraging to injure myself but I'm back in full swing and I even managed to get my bench to keep going up while my back was hurting (My PR is 205 right now - I need to get some fractional plates!).

Anyway, I'm happy to be back!

I'll see everyone around the forums!

• Like 1

STR[3] DEX[2] STA[2] CON[2] WIS[4] CHA[3]

My Character Sheet - http://nerdjutsu.com/about/character-information/