Forums are back in action! ×

Risen from the Ashes

Please excuse the pun on my name. ^^

I started my fitness journey about one year ago, but suffered an unfortunately-timed knee injury at my place of work shortly after. I don't want to go into too much detail on what happened, but it prevented me from doing a lot of the training I wanted to do, as far as lifting went. I fell back into a serious depression after this, stopped going to the gym, and ended up gaining twelve pounds instead of continuing to get healthy. 

However, just this week (about a week after I got active again by playing Pokemon GO), I decided to give it another go. My knee is not fully recovered, but I have a trainer (who is going to school for physical therapy, as well!) who is working with me to modify my exercises in a way that will provide me full benefit, but go easier on my knee. With his help, and the encouragement of my husband, and hopefully newfound friends, I want to become fit and healthy, and become a Scout! I have never been much for running, but it's sort of a dream of mine to be able to run, and to eventually complete a 5k. <3

• Like 2

Glad to hear that your knee is getting better and that you're finding ways to work around it. That's the only answer.

Also, I completely understand your desire to run even though you've never been a runner. I felt like that too. Now I've done 4 5ks, and I've not managed to run the whole distance for any of them - but it's still one of the best things I've ever done, each time.

If your trainer agrees, why not sign up for one anyway, say three or four months away, and then you can work towards it? And if you can't run the whole thing when the time comes it really doesn't matter!

• Like 2

Half-Elf Bard, Level 6 Ranger. (Or possibly a Druid?)

We're not aiming for perfection, just progress.

Battle log: Sulinar's challenging 2017