Forums are back in action! ×

I made this account a while ago, but never posted. So I am changing that now!

Hello Everyone! My name is Alyssa. I am a college student majoring in Computer Science. My goal is to be healthy and one day have nice looking abs! However, I have a long way to go! I've lost about 15 pounds this year so far just from cutting out soda and eating a bit less. Now, I have 70 more pounds to go to reach my goal weight of 145 lbs. However, 70 pounds sound intimidating! So my current goal is to get to 200 lbs (lose 13 pounds). My next step to reach this goal is to add exercise! Now, I just have to figure out what type of workout I should do. I have a gym near me that only takes about 5 minutes to walk there so that make things easier. Once the fall semester starts up again, I'll probably go on a more paleoish diet since I'll have access to a dining hall.

I am still unsure about what type of workout I should be doing to have maximum weight loss. I need to figure this out ASAP because I use this as an excuse not to workout. I want to do some type of strength training eventually. I don't want to lose weight and be weak! However, a college gym is a lot scarier than the gym near my home! The guys there are a lot more intimidating and there is more equipment hogging going on! However, I am considering just focusing on losing weight first before I start strength training. I'll keep a workout log to keep me accountable!

Anyways, wish me luck! Any advice or words of encouragement is always appreciated~

strength training is actually very good for weight loss.  It can be with weights or just with bodyweight exercises. Also the sooner you start the more you will know and the  more confidence you will have if you need to use the college gym.

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

Cardio is a good place to start. Get your heartrate up.

But when it comes to weight loss its cal in and cal out thats important.

You need to be under your daily calorie need and that you do with your food. Then exercise can help to burn more calories.

Jogging and bodyweight exercises maybe. Or ride a bike. It easier on your knees if you have those problems. Swimming is also great.  Just remember to start small. Its a habit you must form and if you take to much to start with its easy to give up. 

You need to get to that place where you dont discuss with yourself if you should train. You just do.

Like brushing your teeth.  You dont debate yourself everyday if you should brush your teeth or not.  Thats because its a habit.

Best of luck / Johan

Thanks for the advice so far!

Currently, I am eating under my daily calorie need. It is how I lost most of my weight. It is just starting to slow down so I think it is a good time to add exercise. I think

I will do more research on strength training for weight loss. I just always thought that eating at a deficit somehow counters strength training. My current plan is to just start out 3 times a week.

Strength training will give you the most bang for your buck for weight loss exercises for two main reasons: 

1) Muscles are built during rest, not during workouts. After you expose your muscles to unexpected stress (weight training), they will respond by growing stronger so that next time they can handle that stress. This growth requires a lot of energy, and the burn happens as the muscles build themselves up stronger -- for up to 36 hours after the end of your workout, as opposed to cardio, which only burns calories DURING the exercise. This means that rest is very important in weight training -- give your muscles time to grow! (If you are concerned about getting big muscles, don't be -- bulking up is pretty hard to do accidentally, especially for women.) 

2) Muscle mass takes a lot of energy just to exist (three times as much energy as an equal mass of fat!). Muscles are nutritionally dense so when your body has to break down tissue for energy, it is more likely to target your muscles than your fat stores first. However, if you are actively training your muscles, your body can't justify taking away from them for extra energy -- it needs those strong muscles for the next weight training session! So it will force your body to start consuming your fat stores to fuel your muscles. 

It doesn't sound like this is an issue for you, but make sure to eat properly while you are exercising! Your muscles need protein to grow, and your body also needs vitamins, minerals, and, yes CALORIES to function properly. Keep in mind that you can have a caloric deficit (eating fewer calories than you burn) while only eating cheetos, but it won't make you healthy. You can maintain a caloric deficit within a healthy diet and add weight training to reap all the rewards. 

10 minutes ago, healkitty said:

I just always thought that eating at a deficit somehow counters strength training.

This is a misconception.  It is true that eating at a deficit will interfere with building muscle size, however, I do think that is your goal at this point.  Bodybuilders will generally eat in one of two styles referred to as "bulking" and "cutting".  During bulking they will eat a calorie surplus to maximize muscle growth, during cutting they will eat at a deficit to lose fat and increase the definition of their muscles (generally for a competition) but will still build strength even while cutting.

If you wish to start with bodyweight exercises here is an excellent article from the blog: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Also, if you want to see what lifting weights can accomplish for you here is a great success story from a key member of the team:  http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |