Forums are back in action! ×

Hi! 

I'm majiksummer, I'm 28 years old (as of last week!) and I'm trying to get in shape and lose some weight. I used to be in really good shape in my early 20's but after having been stuck on bed rest for the last two summers due to several pregnancies that ended in miscarriages and the resulting complications and hormonal issues (basically I was just really sick and stuck in bed for the majority of 2 years) I'm struggling to get the weight back off. This is the first summer I've been able to actually do the things I love again but my lack of physical fitness keeps getting in the way. I barrel race, and the hit my riding has taken from only being able to ride sporadically and the muscle I've lost, well it's been awful. I also love to camp, hike, fish, hunt, basically anything outdoorsy and not being in shape is really hurting my ability to do these things. I'm starting my second year of college and planning on getting my PhD in soil science/ biology so I'm super busy with school. I'm also married to an amazing guy and  have 3 great stepkids who spend the summers with my husband and me. I love to read, especially fantasy. I looooove Tolkien as well as most dystopian fiction. When I was in high school and jr. high I would disappear into books constantly, but I decided I want to be the one out living life not just experiencing it from the pages of a book so up until getting sick I had made it a goal to get out and live life. I miss that, I miss me, and I want it back.

So my goals and stats:

Height 5'10

Highest weight 200lbs (a month and a half ago)

Current weight 190lbs (this morning)

Goal weight 145-155 lbs

Current jean size 11 or 31

Goal jean size 6/8

I'm not positive where exactly I want my weight at, I've been as low as 137 (size 4ish) and I looked and felt great, but I was working on a ranch at the time, I cleaned around 45 stalls everyday, hauled hay, rode horses, did a super physical job for 9 hours a day and ate everything in sight and was still loosing weight. For example I would eat like a whole pizza for dinner and have a huge dessert and maybe a second dessert too. And I was 19 at the time. I just don't feel like that is a realistic goal for where I am in life right now. I just don't really want to have to work that hard again just to look like that. I just want to get back in my size 6/8s and feel stronger and be able to stick with my horse better when I'm barrel racing. Plus I figure I can fine tune the exact size I want to be when I get a little closer. 

What I've been doing so far

I've been eating better, less junk food, more salads, veggies, and meat. I've also been trying to just be more active. I'm riding horses ~3 times a week plus school keeps me on my feet and moving in between classes. I swear my classes are on opposite sides of campus this fall so I'm going to be hustling back and forth across campus several times a day. I feel like my weight has been kind of stuck right now, probably because I'm headed into finals this week so I haven't been moving as much (I took 10 credits of summer classes, eeek!) I'm hoping to get it going back down again once I get through this week. My next big goal weight is 185 and I'm hoping to be there around the end of August when classes start back up. My college also offers several free morning workout classes that fit perfectly in my schedule this fall so I will be going to those 2-3 times a week once they start up. I'm hoping that they can help me get in good enough shape to try a judo class during the spring semester, I'd like to try krav maga but  they don't offer krav maga. I think it sounds like fun, plus it's something I've never tried and it seems to have great self defense applications. 

So yeah... that's about all

Any advice or tips would be great! I'm planning on posting weekly with updates and to help keep myself accountable and motiivated. 

Thanks!