Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

in a related note, i did fall one time going up the steps there...kinda embarassing. maybe i should have taken the elevator that day.

Why is it you always fall going UP the stairs instead of down? I can't tell you how many times I've injured my shins going up stairs, and my daughter fell at last week's track meet going up a set of bleachers, and sustained a nasty bruise/burn mark on her arm from it.

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

Re: the elevator At my gym I've seen people in wheelchairs use it to get to the machines and what not. :)

One of my good friends, who would be an amazing NF rebel, was in a car accident two years ago and had both legs amputated after an infection. He participates in the Boston Marathon each year in the wheelchair race, and is so badass I can't explain it. I second what Hammlin said--I like having the elevators because he wouldn't get there otherwise :)

• Like 2
I overheard a trainer talking about her client who showed up for his session one week with calf implants. Apparently he felt he wasn't progressing quickly enough and grew impatient.

You can get implants there? WTF..?

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

which look like you've stuffed some water balloons under your skin.... wow

"Nah bro you're doing those barbell rows wrong"

"Bro, you're doin those deadlifts wrong"

"Mate, you should target the underside of your pecs more (on the smith machine)"

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

I haven't overheard anything, but I always shake my head at the people who take the elevator up one floor to go hit the cardio machines.

And people who hit the automatic door open button on their way in....

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

“If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves.â€

-Thomas Edison

"I'm only at about 35-40%, and I'm surprised as eff."

-unicornassssin

Fitocracy!

[thread=16121]My Challenge Thread[/thread]

You can get implants there? WTF..?

You can get implants for almost everything these days. I've seen implants for tattooed breasts on a guys arm.

Also, the only thing I've overheard lately are sirens. And the guy who told me to "KEEP RUNNIN' WHITE BOY!"

I work out in a park.

• Like 4

I think the funniest thing I have seen in the gym is the skinny little freshmen boys who come in put the assisted pull up machine to 100lbs then proceed to crank out like 20 pull-ups. Umm dude everyone can see the machine is lifting most of your bodyweight.

Generally at the gym I have my earbuds in with my music cranked so I can't hear anyone and be in my own little world.

I haven't overheard anything, but I always shake my head at the people who take the elevator up one floor to go hit the cardio machines.

^this...There is this girl who lifts and runs at my gym daily, but takes the elevator to go down one level.:hopelessness:

• Like 3

just keep on trucking...

I go to a 24 hour "fatness" in Yorba Linda, CA. Think Real Housewives of Orange County and you wont be far off. Way too many implants and meatheads to go around so I usually sneak in before dawn while they are still sleeping off their cocktail parties. Enough said, this morning I saw two guys spotting each other with barbell bicep curls. One straining, the other coaching ( I meant screaming ) at the other to push harder. The guy curling has his back arched in something I havent seen except on the cover box of the movie "the Last Excorcism". It was so vile, it was hilarious. And when he got done with his 6 reps ( or giving birth, I couldt tell) they high fived each other and both flexed and then one said 'hurts good'. I then noticed they were wearing those shorts that go down past the knee...they both had the skinniest frickin calves. I've seen little kids with thicker calves . HAHAHAHA. Poor meathaeds

• Like 1

There was a "gentleman" at my gym I called The Screamer. He would load up a barbell with 8 45# plates to knock out like 2 reps. With each rep he would let out a blood curdling scream as loud as he could! Nearly gave me a heart attack every time! Also when he was done he NEVER re-racked his weight plates. Rude! This went on for a while until the day someone tried unloading his bar from only one side. The unbalanced bar shot up and flipped over like a spring trap almost crushing someone. After that day I never saw him at the gym again.

“The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools.â€

― Thucydides

There was a "gentleman" at my gym I called The Screamer. He would load up a barbell with 8 45# plates to knock out like 2 reps. With each rep he would let out a blood curdling scream as loud as he could! Nearly gave me a heart attack every time! Also when he was done he NEVER re-racked his weight plates. Rude! This went on for a while until the day someone tried unloading his bar from only one side. The unbalanced bar shot up and flipped over like a spring trap almost crushing someone. After that day I never saw him at the gym again.

I secretly freak out that this is going to happen every time I unload a barbell.

• Like 2

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

I secretly freak out that this is going to happen every time I unload a barbell.

Heh, me too. That's why I always remove one plate from each side at a time. Even if it is a dinky lil' 2.5 pounder. :D

• Like 4

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Heh, me too. That's why I always remove one plate from each side at a time. Even if it is a dinky lil' 2.5 pounder. :D

One of my coaches works at a swanky gym where most of the people are completely helpless on their own. Once, he saw someone unload one side of a bar, causing it to flip over a few times and embed itself in a wall. The squat rack in my weight room is right next to a brick wall, so I'm always afraid it'll embed itself in my head if I'm not careful.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.