Forums are back in action! ×

So I did the classic rushing through a not very good warm-up and I have hurt my longissimus dorsi on my left side. *grump* Got through first set of reps fine, but as I was doing my second plank I was thinking "ooh" and then doing second set of squats I realised it was sufficient of an injury to abandon the workout :( In hindsight, a couple of days ago I got out of bed like someone approximately 80 years my senior, and I have noticed my back twinging a bit recently when bending down to pick out my not-so-co-operative horse's feet. Yesterday especially I spent 20 minutes bent over wrestling with him and a pair of boots. I just felt a bit stiff when I straightened up, but I am wondering if I hurt it then and/or before then and its finally "gone" today.

I now realise I don't have a clue what to do next. I stretched out carefully and if it hurt I didn't do it any further or more. But I don't know what I am supposed to do now. The muscle is used in every part of my workout regime, and is affected by every alternative movement I can think of. RICE? Heat? Let it take its natural course of inflamation and ease gently back in?

And when/how do I go back to working out? Is swimming and walking okay in the meantime?

Dammit I had only just got properly back on form since having that beeping chest cold. :livid:

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually afraid to make one. - Elbert Hubbard

First: lay off it for a few days. A week off won't kill you. While you're in that week off, take a walk when you would normally be working out.

Second: ice to get the swelling down (if there is any). Heat might relieve pain and get the blood flowing as well, but don't overdo it.

Third, rehab after the week: Band pulldowns, very light weight raises, some superman stretches, etc. Slow and easy and if it hurts, back off it. Just get that muscle used to working again.

fourth: eat clean. It helps speed recovery. And get plenty of water and sleep.

Level 3 Human Ranger
STR: 9 DEX: 5.25 STA: 14.5 CON: 5.5 WIS: 16 CHA: 5.5 
My Current Challenge