Forums are back in action! ×

Beginning my 3rd four week challenge - but new to forums

Hello fellow Nerd Fitness folks,

Over the last eight weeks, Rebel Timelord and I have been participating in the beginning body weight workouts 3xs a week and have moved to a Paleoish diet. He's way ahead of me in interacting here on the forums, but he's received so much positive feedback and encouragement I thought I'd join in too.

I've been fairly active most of my adult life: jogging, walking, Zumba, and some cycling; but I've struggled for years to maintain a healthy weight. I've attempted Weight Watchers, LA Weightloss and most recently the Dukan Diet. I lost 30 pounds on Dukan, but a year and a half after following the program, I've gained most of that back...

that is until I've begun chipping away at this weight gain over the last 8 weeks with Nerd Fitness. 

It is my hope to say goodbye to the 30lbs I've lost many times over AND find a way to maintain a healthier weight for the long haul - 

so my motto is...

"Always we begin again".

Rebel Timelord are looking forward to the next 4 week challenge and plan to continue with the following quests:

1. Body weight workout 3xs week

2. Paleoish whole foods diet

3. (Myself) Walking 6xs a week (foot healing from a bone bruise so have to do low impact cardio for a bit)

4. Taking a cooking class to learn more Paleo cooking hacks...

What advice or wisdom do you have to share?

Thanks in advance for your help.

eastman_tara

• Like 6

Welcome!

Awesome that you are joining us too. I did some Zumba a couple of months back until I decided to focus on yoga. Zumba will probably come back this winter when walking outside won't really be something I'll want to do a lot. I love dancing.

I hope that bone bruise heals as quickly as possible.

And cooking class? Tell me more, that sounds like fun/interesting.

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

Oh please do! I'm kind of slowly strolling towards paleo, somewhat like Crowley strolled from heaven to hell. (Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman; great and funny book)

• Like 2

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

That cooking class sounds so fun and motivating! I'd love a Paleo cooking class. Seems like all the cooking classes always have dairy and gluten. Congrats on your weight loss and great start!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 8/6/2016 at 4:26 PM, eastman_tara said:

@Dagger thanks for the kind response. The cooking class is being offered at our local community college and is Paleo and Gluten Free - @Rebel_Timelord is also planning on attending the class with me. I'll post recipes if we find some tasty ones!

Welcome and congrats on all your hard work so far! I'd love to see the recipes you guys try too!

• Like 1

Battle Log: PollyannaAgain's Log

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. ~Helen Keller

Problems are not the problem; coping is the problem. ~Virginia Satir

Welcome to this crazy party! I think you'll like it here.

You asked for advice, let's see.....

1. Keep your challenges small and few in number. The goal is sustainable change that eventually becomes "new normal." Don't try to do All The Things at once. 

2. Be forgiving of imperfection. Life happens sometimes. Do spend some time reflecting on what tripped you and how to be prepared for it next time, but don't beat yourself up over it.

3. Always know where your towel is. Any rebel who can survive these challenges and still know where her towel is is clearly a rebel to be reckoned with.

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

10 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

1. Keep your challenges small and few in number. The goal is sustainable change that eventually becomes "new normal." Don't try to do All The Things at once.

And if you tried to do all the things anyway, it is alright to adjust your challenge down when you realize it. ^^ *voice of experience*