Forums are back in action! ×

Reporting for Duty.

Hi guys, 

I've been reading the forums and blog all weekend after listening to an old Paleo Solution podcast that featured Nerd Fitness.  I'm looking for something to get me excited about working out and eating better again.  This place looks to be a fun and exciting way to do that.  I just wanted to pop in and say hi and try to get myself started.  

I have some work to do on my goals but for now I just want to get into a habit of exercising daily even if it's only a walk.  I don't really need to lose much weight, if any.  I'm 47 years old, 6'0" and 185 lbs.  As a kid I boxed as an amateur sporadically from age 8 to about 25 so I was exposed to exercise and decent eating habits.  I found Crossfit around 7 years ago but a string of minor nagging injuries kept me from sticking with that.  I also enjoy running.  I'm not fast but I've completed 3 marathons and a couple of half marathons over the last several years.  These days my runs are shorter and slower. 

At any rate I want to get myself back into shape with a focus on gymnastic strength and endurance/stamina building exercises.  I hope to use my new super powers to rock climb and kayak with my kids and strengthen my weaknesses to avoid injury.  I know I'm rambling now.  I'm just pumped to be here!

Welcome, @Eruu! "Exercising daily even if it's only a walk" is a great goal! Why not come over to the Rebel Challenge thread and get started? The current challenge is almost over, but that's ok. You can either have a really short challenge (think of it as dipping your toes in the pool) or roll it into the next one. The important thing is to start while you're still excited and haven't talked yourself out of it yet.

And if you have any questions, just ask! It's a helpful, supportive bunch here.

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

On 8/9/2016 at 4:24 PM, RandMart said:

How many concussions? I've had seven, but only one from boxing.

I don't even know.  I've had about 80 amateur fights and some in Tough-man Contests.  I've been knocked down 5 times in fights and a few more in sparring sessions.  I've never been out cold but I've had mild concussion symptoms on a couple of occasions.  Nothing serious.  

I'm not going to pretend that boxing isn't dangerous but we aren't generally allowed to get knocked out multiple times in a single competition like a football quarterback might.  

16 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

Welcome, @Eruu! "Exercising daily even if it's only a walk" is a great goal! Why not come over to the Rebel Challenge thread and get started? The current challenge is almost over, but that's ok. You can either have a really short challenge (think of it as dipping your toes in the pool) or roll it into the next one. The important thing is to start while you're still excited and haven't talked yourself out of it yet.

And if you have any questions, just ask! It's a helpful, supportive bunch here.

Thanks for the support! I'm doing pretty good now.  I've been getting my daily exercise in and planning my goals for the next challenge.