Forums are back in action! ×

Total newbie on an epic journey to level up.

Hello my fellow Nerd Fitters, 

It's taken me a while to work up the courage to do this...but I figured I could use the extra accountability to help me level up and be a  fitter, healthier and all around general badass-ier (in the good sense) version of myself. 

Some basic info about me: 

Height: 6ft (180cm) 

Starting Weight: 125kg (276lbs)

Current Weight: 105kg (231lbs give or take) 

Goal Weight: 90kg (198lbs) 

Background

I always used to be the "chubby" kid at school, you know, the 'overweight' kid that was always picked last for sports, the one the kids used to always be like 'Oh do I have to have him on my team'...yeah that was me. As a kid, I would say I was very active, playing football (soccer) and basketball 3 or 4 times a week, and I used to play cricket every weekend come rain or shine. 

Now you're probably thinking, how can he be a chubby kid when he was this active....well quite simply put my diet / my nutritional knowledge sucked to the nth degree. I would eat fast food, junk food like religiously. I practically grew up on TV Dinners and Microwave meals. 

Then I went off to Uni and I think that's where all the real damage was done, going out every night drinking and having the world's worst diet (student diets they should be made illegal) 

Goals

My aim is to get myself down to 90kg by end of November this year (not long to go about 12-14 weeks). I've already made some good progress over the last 6 or 7 months dropping more than 20kgs (44lbs) however I know the hard work is just beginning as I try to lose another 40 or so lbs. 

How am I going to achieve this?

Nutrition - Meal prep, meal prep and more meal prep, I want to completely remove the idea of conflict from my diet, I want to pre-plan most of my meals. That way there is no guess work, I know exactly what I'm going to eat for breakfast lunch dinner snack etc. 

Exercise - I'm aiming to up my current gym time from 3 x a week to 5 x a week with a mixture of Cardio and Weights. 

Cheat days Seems to be a topic of great controversy amongst many of the forums I've been across (probably why I've been so hesitant to post before), but my plan is quite simple I think 25-30 clean meals = 1 cheat meal. So I have to eat 25-30 clean meals throughout a week to have one cheat meal on the weekend. I think this is just enough to drive me to want to eat those 25-30 clean meals. 

Alcohol / SmokingI've actually decided to give up alcohol (not totally) I'll still allow myself a tipple here and there (mostly there, though...sorry British humour it's not that funny).Simply put, no more after work drinks, no more Saturday or Sunday drinking. I'm only going to drink on special occasions (Weddings, birthdays, parties, and perhaps on meals out where I'm having a nice dinner).  

My approach is simple (famous last words..)..i'm going to keep myself accountable to the entire Nerd Fitness academy fear of failure is not an option. I will be regularly updating this post once a week (or so) maybe once a month not sure yet...? 

Apologies in advance for the rather long post didn't think I'd go into this much detail. In case you've not noticed, I'm from England. 

If you want any more info e.g. Workout plans, Nutrition plans etc that I will be using please feel free to ask, as I said I am a total newbie when it comes to this, so I would be more than happy to post it here to get everyone's opinions and ideas. 

I'll leave everyone with one of my favourite quotes I've come across whilst searching the deep web for some fitness related media...

"Blood, Sweat and Respect. The first two you give, the last one you earn!".