Forums are back in action! ×

Rebels,

Taking the time to introduce myself. Resident IT nerd and lover of all things computer and gadget.

My fitness journey began in January 2016. I finished up my degree at the age of 29 and when everything was said and done I noticed that my schedule of waking up, eating, going to work and sitting, eating, sitting some more, going straight to class, eating, sitting all night till 1030 and doing it again the next day had left me with an extra 20lbs and I was not happy with my appearance.

So naturally, being a Nerd, I starting searching the internet and in the midst of all the fad diets, supplements, and Beach Body ads I discovered nerd fitness. My kind of place. After reading the success stories I was convinced that this was the approach that would work for me. Even though I knew eating bad would make me fat, I never even considered how much of a role (roll?, lol) diet played in my weight and appearance. I knew nothing about Body Fat percentage and I didn't truly know what healthy eating really looked like.

It was at this point that I got real excited and started to implement some changes. First with my diet. I dropped soda for water and started focusing on piling my plate with veggies. I shopped around the outside of the grocery. I started cooking all my meals. 2 months later I couldn't believe the effect of eating better food had on my body composition.  I was down to 166 but it looked like I lost 30 pounds!! I went from a 34" waist to a 31". I now eat 80/20 Paleo and prep all my lunches for the week.

Encouraged by these results I began adding some strength training. Beginning with bodyweight and eventually moving to a gym with a friend of mine that had been lifting for years. Today I am in better shape than I ever have been ( could never do a pull-up and now can do 5!) but I have a long way to go. I know this is about the journey and not the end results.

After achieving success with my job, education and work life I had been struggling to find new goals until I stumbled across Nerd Fitness. Now I have a new way to level up my life and am so excited to finally have some good information  that works, I want to share it with everyone I meet.

I have to remind myself that this is a process and that anything in life worth doing takes lots of time and lots of hard work. Here's to getting a little better everyday!

-Phil

Welcome! Have you thought about what guild you want to join? Not that you need to, just come hang out with us crazy Rebels. The current challenge is almost over but if you have some goals in mind, go ahead and start them now. You can either have a really short challenge, or roll them into the next one. 

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

The Rangers seem very appealing to my ADD fitness interests. I am getting Married in 30 days so I probably will keep it simple with the Rebels for the coming challenge. Something like not eating like a garbage dump because I'm on a honeymoon and maintaining some level of training. I'll start working on some goals and get ready for the upcoming challenge! Thanks for the tips!!